Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com> on 2012/11/02 00:34:37 UTC

Whitelist defaults

Quick q: how come Android + BB's whitelists by default whitelist
everything (*), but iOS does the opposite (whitelist nothing)?

I'd like to see this unified across all platforms we support.

Re: Whitelist defaults

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
The primary use case is the same one as the web: malicious 3rd party
scripts. The less plausible theory is John Resig decides to 'go rogue' and
take out the internet by publishing an evil jQuery to the edge. The more
realistic scenario is embedded advertising getting pwnd and now all our
customers contacts, photos, videos, and who-knows-what-else gets stolen
leaving you holding the bag.

The more I think about this the more I think the default should be * and
the functionality should be opt in with strong language in the
documentation recommending this as a part of securing the app for release.

Re: Whitelist defaults

Posted by Lorin Beer <lo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Whitelist defaults

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Lorin Beer <lo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> BriBri Say

This is off topic, but I think this is the first time I've seen Brian
called this on the list.

Re: Whitelist defaults

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.
'Zactly.

Re: Whitelist defaults

Posted by Lorin Beer <lo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Whitelist defaults

Posted by Anis KADRI <an...@gmail.com>.
I guess make it "all" then. That's what I conclude from our discussion. As
long as the feature is there, people can make the adequate decisions. I
believe we should add this to the getting started guide (the whitelist docs
are not enough to draw attention).

Re: Whitelist defaults

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.
I mentioned this in another thread -- I'd like to migrate Cordova.plist to
config.xml so we can be consistent there. I believe Android has already
moved to config.xml already.

Re: Whitelist defaults

Posted by Kevin Hawkins <ke...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, it's something we take care with in our implementation. Primarily, we
use the separation to include things wholesale in Debug that we don't want
in Release, such as TestFlight, and other performance gathering code that
is disabled in release builds.

Re: Whitelist defaults

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Re: Whitelist defaults

Posted by Anis KADRI <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Whitelist defaults

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Whitelist defaults

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.

--
@purplecabbage
risingj.com

Re: Whitelist defaults

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Whitelist defaults

Posted by Anis KADRI <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Whitelist defaults

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Re: Whitelist defaults

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Whitelist defaults

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.
I have relaxed my position, as I can work around whatever the choice is.
It might be prudent to ask our users though.

--
@purplecabbage
risingj.com

Re: Whitelist defaults

Posted by Kevin Hawkins <ke...@gmail.com>.
In our customizations of our Cordova app, that's exactly what we did.  We
created a Cordova-Debug.plist and Cordova-Release.plist, and synced them
back to Cordova.plist as a Build Phase step.  I don't know that it's the
default behavior the Cordova community would want for template apps, but it
is doable anyway.

Re: Whitelist defaults

Posted by Anis KADRI <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Whitelist defaults

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Whitelist defaults

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Whitelist defaults

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 1:59 PM, Shazron <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Echoing Anis here. The easiest use case is for corporate use (internal),
> where any connections are restricted to a certain domain for paranoid IT
> types.

Thirding the paranoid corporate types. I mean if they even knew I was
typing thi

BLAM! THUD.

Simon Mac Donald
http://hi.im/simonmacdonald

Re: Whitelist defaults

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Whitelist defaults

Posted by Anis KADRI <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Whitelist defaults

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Whitelist defaults

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Re: Whitelist defaults

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.

Re: Whitelist defaults

Posted by Ken Wallis <kw...@rim.com>.
Not sure why the BlackBerry version white lists everything. We don't do that in WebWorks ;)

From: Steven Gill
To: dev@cordova.apache.org

Re: Whitelist defaults

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.