Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by sbeaupre <sv...@theglue.com> on 2018/05/09 12:23:56 UTC

Using GraalVM instead of standard JVM

This is just a thought that came out of a discussion with Dimitry this
morning. Recently Oracle has released GraalVM 1.0 after many years of
research and development, as a replacement for standard JVM.

It should come with huge improvements on several areas (interesting for
ignite: AOT, native compilation, remove object allocation in many cases,
...)

Any interest from GG in this? Do you guys think it would give ignite a
performance boost (haven't tested it myself, just checking if it is
worthwhile in the first place, probably low on our prio list).

More info:
- GraalVM for Java:
        http://www.graalvm.org/docs/why-graal/#for-java-programs
- Twitter is running GraalVM in production for a while now:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR5NDkIZBOA
- Getting started:
        http://www.graalvm.org/docs/getting-started/

regards,

Sven

Re: Using GraalVM instead of standard JVM

Posted by Ivan Pavlukhin <vo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

My thoughts:
* Does anyone has an idea what prevents us to run Ignite on GraalVM?
* Regarding Python. I suppose every JVM can leverage jython [1]. Also
I think we should support all significant features on HotSpot as well.

[1] https://www.jython.org/

Best regards,
Ivan Pavlukhin

Posted by Igor Seliverstov <is...@gridgain.com>.
Denis,

From technical point of view #3 doesn’t look so complex, but I’m not sure we should consider a case when Ignite is a part of Oracle database because we are a database.

But making Ignite a multilingual tool sounds like an interesting opportunity.

Regards,
Igor

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Folks,

@Pavel Tupitsyn <pt...@apache.org>, @Igor Sapego <is...@apache.org>,
@plehanov.alex@gmail.com <pl...@gmail.com>, it would be nice to
hear your perspective on 1 and 2. @Igor Seliverstov
<is...@gridgain.com>, @Taras Ledkov <tl...@gridgain.com>, @Roman
Kondakov <rk...@gridgain.com>, @Ivan Pavlukhin
<vo...@gmail.com>, @Yuriy
Gerzhedovich <yg...@gridgain.com> what are your thoughts on #3?

-

Posted by Stephen Darlington <st...@gridgain.com>.

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen Darlington <st...@gridgain.com>.

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sven Beauprez <sv...@theglue.com>.
Thnx all for the feedback.

Posted by Petr Ivanov <mr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dmitry Pavlov <dp...@gmail.com>.
Hi Peter,

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ilya Kasnacheev <il...@gmail.com>.
Hello!

You can certainly try it. My immediate concern is the robustness of
GraalVM's offheap implementation.

Ilya Kasnacheev