Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by "T.H.A. Jenniskens" <je...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/02 13:26:48 UTC

oracle-report-builder

LS,

I have a problem with oracle-report-builder.

Until a few days ago it functioned properly.

Now it turns out suddenly that the report-bilder is gone.

If I want to open previously created report "LijstZi" , I get the message:

            <The documet " LijstZi "" could not be opened>

--------------

Then have the oracle-report-builder downloaded again.

In <downloads> is now the file <oracle-report-builder.oxt>

When I double click on it, while Office 4.1.2 is open

come to the screen: <Extension Manager>. of OpenOffice.

There  the message appears:

            Extension (s) Add:

            C: \ Users \ THA \ AppData \ Roaming \ OpenOffice \ 4 \ user \
uno_packages

            \ Cach \ uno_packages \ sv11t27.tmp_ \ oracle-report-builder,
oxt

            does not exist

I tried reinstalling the latest version of OpenOffice 4.1.2,

but that does not help

Can you help me get my report builder.

In advance thank you very much

THA (Theo) Jenniskens

Re: oracle-report-builder

Posted by "Girvin R. Herr" <gh...@sbcglobal.net>.

> [orcmid]
>
> I think this tells most of the story:
> <http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/oracle-report-builder>.
>
> The code was imported into the Apache OpenOffice source-code tree in 2011.  Since then, it has only been touched in cosmetic ways that don't repair or update anything.  No one has put technical work into it.
>
> Unfortunately, the desirability of this to users is different than their being the capacity, capability, and commitment of volunteer developers to work on this.
>
> I think it is safe to say that the project lacks the capacity to work on this extension and that changing is not foreseeable at this time.

>   - Dennis

Dennis,
That's too bad.  I was getting to like AOO 4.1.2.  I may still use it
for docs, since it seems to have fixed some frustrating bugs in Writer
that LO, at least the last version I tried (4.4), still has after years
and many releases.  However, I must use LO, probably 3.6, for my
databases.  LO 3.6 and its Report Builder were fairly stable for me.
Subsequent LO releases were too buggy for me to use.  The LO 3.6 Report
Builder was still slow, but I think I have narrowed that down to
comparing strings.  It is much faster if I only compare numbers, which
makes sense.

Thank goodness we have open file formats so that I can use the tools
that work best.

Thanks.
Girvin Herr

RE: oracle-report-builder

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

[ ... ]
> > ​We had a framework change with version 4.0. What this means in that
> the
> > development structure for extensions needed to change. Oracle is no
> longer
> > doing active development for this extension. See references on:
> >
> > ​http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/oracle-report-builder
> >
> > You might find the discussion on the Forums useful as well:
> >
> > https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=57062
> >

> Wait!  Back the truck up!  This is news to me.
> I just tested this and confirmed that the OP is correct and the Report
> Builder is not working in AOO 4, even though the Report menu options
> (Edit, Open, etc.) are present.  I assumed RB was bundled with AOO, as
> it was with LibreOffice.  My last report gen was in January and I
> installed AOO 4 in December.  I must have still been evaluating AOO and
> used LO 3 to gen those last reports.  I totally agree with threenorms'
> posting in the above referenced forum thread:
>
> "honestly: why did everyone on the development end apparently think that
> generating actual, meaningful reports with totals based on data, was NOT
> part of a database program? without being able to generate reports, the
> whole thing is useless! ARGH!"
[orcmid]

I think this tells most of the story:
<http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/oracle-report-builder>.

The code was imported into the Apache OpenOffice source-code tree in 2011.  Since then, it has only been touched in cosmetic ways that don't repair or update anything.  No one has put technical work into it.

Unfortunately, the desirability of this to users is different than their being the capacity, capability, and commitment of volunteer developers to work on this.

I think it is safe to say that the project lacks the capacity to work on this extension and that changing is not foreseeable at this time.

> Not having the report builder in AOO is a deal breaker for me.  I must
> have it to gen my reports.  Now, as a result of this disclosure, I must
> abandon AOO and go back to the old but stable LO 3, or the buggy LO 4,
> as well as LO's lack of support like this forum.
>
> Also, I assumed that LO got custody of the Oracle Report Builder code
> when they bundled it in to the LO code. That may be a bad assumption.
[orcmid]

I have no idea about that.  However, LO has access and use of the code carried in the Apache OpenOffice repository and they could have adapted from that if it was a better starting point for the current use of the MPL license on LibreOffice releases.

 - Dennis

Re: oracle-report-builder

Posted by "Girvin R. Herr" <gh...@sbcglobal.net>.

Re: oracle-report-builder

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> LS,
>

> I have a problem with oracle-report-builder.
>

> Until a few days ago it functioned properly.
>

> Now it turns out suddenly that the report-bilder is gone.
>

> If I want to open previously created report "LijstZi" , I get the message:
>

>             <The documet " LijstZi "" could not be opened>

> --------------
>
> Then have the oracle-report-builder downloaded again.
>
> In <downloads> is now the file <oracle-report-builder.oxt>
>

> When I double click on it, while Office 4.1.2 is open
>
> come to the screen: <Extension Manager>. of OpenOffice.
>
> There  the message appears:
>

>             Extension (s) Add:
>
>             C: \ Users \ THA \ AppData \ Roaming \ OpenOffice \ 4 \ user \
> uno_packages
>
>             \ Cach \ uno_packages \ sv11t27.tmp_ \ oracle-report-builder,
> oxt
>
>             does not exist
>

> I tried reinstalling the latest version of OpenOffice 4.1.2,
>
> but that does not help
>

> Can you help me get my report builder.
>

> In advance thank you very much
>

> THA (Theo) Jenniskens

​We had a framework change with version 4.0. What this means in that the
development structure for extensions needed to change. Oracle is no longer
doing active development for this extension. See references on:

​http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/oracle-report-builder

You might find the discussion on the Forums useful as well:

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=57062

MzK

"Time spent with cats is never wasted."
                                -- Sigmund Freud