Posted to user@mesos.apache.org by Chengwei Yang <ch...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/28 03:49:49 UTC

Questions about mesos-storm

Hi List,

I found mesosphere has a good page
http://mesosphere.io/learn/run-storm-on-mesos/ to guide user setup a
mesos-storm cluster.

However, I found myself several questions about that guide.

1. Is it necessary to deploy storm nimbus on the mesos master node?

The guide only says about deploy storm nimbus on the mesos master node.

But I think it's fine to deploy storm nimbus on a different node. Am I
right?

2. How to deploy storm supervisor node?

The guide doesn't say anything about deploy supervisor node, from that
guide, I see superviosr node deploy on-demand when a topology submitted?
Does mesos-storm do such cool stuff?

If not, we need deploy supervisor in all mesos nodes?

Chengwei

Re: Questions about mesos-storm

Posted by Lin Zhao <li...@groupon.com>.
"Thank you, I was thinking that it's generally OK to deploy a mesos
scheduler on a mesos slave node, regardless performance issue, say it
will communicate with mesos master frequently."

I would avoid launching the scheduler on a mesos slave since the scheduler
would run outside of Mesos jurisdiction (via cgroup), and may contend with
mesos tasks for resource. We have MesosNimbus running outside of the mesos
cluster, master or slave.

Posted by Chengwei Yang <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lin Zhao <li...@groupon.com>.

Posted by Chengwei Yang <ch...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 09:51:04PM -0700, Adam Bordelon wrote:
> Chengwei,
>
> Rather than an internal http server, you could also point the
> mesos.executor.uri to an ftp or hdfs uri if you prefer.

Yes, I find that from source code. :-), apache is the most simplest one
I think.

Chengwei

Posted by Adam Bordelon <ad...@mesosphere.io>.
Chengwei,

Posted by Lin Zhao <li...@groupon.com>.
*supervisor.slots.ports: [6700 6701 6702 6703]*

You can remove supervisor.slot.ports from storm config. MesosNimbus uses
ports offered by Mesos infrastructure, which is independent of these ports.

Posted by Chengwei Yang <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chengwei Yang <ch...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 04:15:25PM +0200, Tomas Barton wrote:
> Hi Chengwei,
>

> | 1. Is it necessary to deploy storm nimbus on the mesos master node?
>
> Yes, basically Nimbus runs as Mesos framework (inside Mesos master), if Mesos
> master dies, it should start automatically on a different node.
> It's not a standard Nimbus, it's MesosNimbus (Mesos framework):
> code might look this (it's slightly outdated version):
> https://github.com/nathanmarz/storm-mesos/blob/master/src/jvm/storm/mesos/
> MesosNimbus.java

Thanks!

Posted by Tomas Barton <ba...@gmail.com>.