Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Rob Wilkerson <r....@gmail.com> on 2006/11/01 16:22:16 UTC

[users@httpd] SSL Support

Simple question:

Do the Apache binaries (Windows or Linux) support SSL or no?  I was
about to download 2.2 for Windows from httpd.apache.org and saw that
the file title indicates no_ssl.  Does that mean that no SSL support
is compiled in or does it (however counter-intuitively) mean something
else?

I'm not sure I need it, but I'd like to be sure I know what I'm
getting when I get it.  If there is no SSL support then is there
anywhere I can go to get binaries that *do* include SSL support?

Thanks for any clarification.

Rob Wilkerson

Re: [users@httpd] SSL Support

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.
On Nov 1, 2006, at 7:22 AM, Rob Wilkerson wrote:

> I'm not sure I need it, but I'd like to be sure I know what I'm
> getting when I get it.  If there is no SSL support then is there
> anywhere I can go to get binaries that *do* include SSL support?

I go to:

http://www.apachelounge.com/download/

S.

Re: [users@httpd] SSL Support

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 11/1/06, Rob Wilkerson <r....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Simple question:
>
> Do the Apache binaries (Windows or Linux) support SSL or no?  I was
> about to download 2.2 for Windows from httpd.apache.org and saw that
> the file title indicates no_ssl.  Does that mean that no SSL support
> is compiled in or does it (however counter-intuitively) mean something
> else?
>
> I'm not sure I need it, but I'd like to be sure I know what I'm
> getting when I get it.  If there is no SSL support then is there
> anywhere I can go to get binaries that *do* include SSL support?

Indeed the developers still haven't worked out the legal issues
involved in distributing SSL-enabled binaries.  But there are some
third-party sites that distribute apache httpd with ssl.  For example:
http://hunter.campbus.com/
(Include usual caveat about downloading executables from random sites
you find on the internet.)

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] SSL Support

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Odd, the downloads page README states ""

  "The -win32-x86-no_ssl.msi package does not include any encryption
   software OpenSSL, mod_ssl, nor an https: enabled abs utility.

   At this time, the process to follow for export notification has not been
   finalized. Until that time, the -win32-x86-ssl.msi with mod_ssl support
   based on OpenSSL is not available. Please do not inquire of the httpd
   project, this issue is not in our hands to address for you."

Not sure how much clearer that could be?

Re: [users@httpd] SSL Support

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.
On Nov 1, 2006, at 7:43 AM, Rob Wilkerson wrote:

> On 11/1/06, Spartanicus <sp...@ntlworld.ie> wrote:
>>
>> RTFM http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/ssl/
>>

> I appreciate the sentiment, but I guess what I'm looking for is an
> understanding of what "no_ssl" means in the binary name.  Does it
> simply mean that this module isn't enabled by default?  I suppose it's
> a bit of an academic question, but one of my guys asked me when they
> went to download it and I didn't have an answer for him.  This seemed
> like the place to go to find out.

The mod_ssl module is not compiled for the no_ssl binary
distribution, and it does not contain the OpenSSL cryptographic
libraries. So, that binary distribution cannot be used to serve HTTPS
traffic. You can download and use it even if your government, or the
US government, don't want you to have access to cryptographic software.

S.

Re: [users@httpd] SSL Support

Posted by Rob Wilkerson <r....@gmail.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] SSL Support

Posted by Spartanicus <sp...@ntlworld.ie>.

--
Spartanicus

(email whitelist in use, non list-server mail will not be seen)