Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Tom Jordahl <to...@macromedia.com> on 2002/10/07 17:32:06 UTC

RE: cvs commit: xml-axis/java/test/wsdl/interop4/groupH/complexRP Cenc ComplexRpcEncServiceTestCase.java

Look guys, you all can't have it both ways.

Sam says - "why do you have this branch, I'm not going to use it"
Russell says - "you can't merge this crap on to HEAD"

Fine, Sam, Russell could you please work out what YOU would like to happen.

Since we are once again scrambling to get our s**t together before tomorrow 10:00am so we can do some real interop with other folks, we just don't have time to fix all the broken WSDL in our functional tests, which is (probably) why they don't pass.

(and yeah, I'm in a bad mood this morning)

--
Tom Jordahl
Macromedia Server Development

xml-axis/java/test/wsdl/interop4/groupH/complexRP Cenc
ComplexRpcEncServiceTestCase.java

Whoa!  You will merge interop4 to HEAD!?!?!  I'll veto that right now.  It
doesn't pass functional-tests!  We NEED to keep the head branch clean.

Russell Butek
butek@us.ibm.com

Tom Jordahl <to...@macromedia.com> on 10/07/2002 09:27:39 AM

To:    "'axis-dev@xml.apache.org'" <ax...@xml.apache.org>
cc:
       xml-axis/java/test/wsdl/interop4/groupH/complexRP    Cenc
       ComplexRpcEncServiceTestCase.java

OK, Dims needs both the header and interop4 branch.
We don't pass all-tests, but Dims said he would fix that as Glen and I are
still working on the interop tests (which is much higher priority).

So Glen and I will merge interop4 to HEAD.
Dims will take a look at fixing the functional-tests which fail.
The header stuff can go it also.

I am not happy with putting our source tree in to a CVS cuisinart mere
hours before walking in to the interop, but it seems we have no choice.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Tom Jordahl wrote:
 > Look guys, you all can't have it both ways.
 >
 > Sam says - "why do you have this branch, I'm not going to use it"
 > Russell says - "you can't merge this crap on to HEAD"
 >
 > Fine, Sam, Russell could you please work out what YOU would like to
 > happen.
 >
 > Since we are once again scrambling to get our s**t together before
 > tomorrow 10:00am so we can do some real interop with other folks, we
 > just don't have time to fix all the broken WSDL in our functional
 > tests, which is (probably) why they don't pass.
 >
 > (and yeah, I'm in a bad mood this morning)

We do have differences in perspectives.  Sometimes the best way to work
through this is to talk it out.

My development process is to start with a clean checkout, verify that it
passes all tests.  Make whatever changes I feel are appropriate.  Verify
that the result still passes all tests.  And then commit.

 From my perspective, keeping the functional tests running clean is a
discipline that benefits us all.  Going off and making a bunch of
experimental changes without respecting that immediately prior to a
SOAPBuilder event is a bit... er, um, unwise.

My preference is that whavever changes are safe to merge back to HEAD
should be done so ASAP.  Everything else doesn't make this round of
SOAPBuilders.

- Sam Ruby