Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Keith Ng <wo...@yahoo.com> on 2002/03/01 13:28:14 UTC

J2EE, JSP, SERVLETS

Hi guys

There has been a question thats bugging me for qute some time. I noticed
many bank sites, or big companies use JSP/SERVLETS for their websites. Is
there a particular reason why jsp/servlets are preferred over
asp/php/coldfusion? I even realise a site (dbs.com.sg)using applet textfield
as their forms ... isit supposed to be more secure this way? Can someone
clear my doubts? thanks

RE: J2EE, JSP, SERVLETS

Posted by Gregor Kovaè <gr...@mikropis.si>.
Hi!

Usually the good separation (called Model 2) between business logic, data
and presentation is the best reason you can give them. Plus you can switch
the vendor of your middleware(database, application server, ....).

A lot of these thing you can find in JSP, Servlets specs.

Best regards,
         Kovi

Re: J2EE, JSP, SERVLETS

Posted by Cathy Ooi <co...@yahoo.com>.
Quite right. As I'm involved in both development, deployment and maintenance,
portability and security are key issues. Apache does support ASP, I think, but I
don't quite trust that if I can help it. What about Perl? I still like to use it
for small, quick jobs.

Posted by August Detlefsen <au...@yahoo.com>.

Re: J2EE, JSP, SERVLETS

Posted by hanasaki <ha...@hanaden.com>.

RE: J2EE, JSP, SERVLETS

Posted by Rick K <bi...@yahoo.com>.
--- Keith Ng <wo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> nono
> dun get me wrong
> im currently doing a J2EE project based on
> servlets/jsp/javamail/jdbc/possibly EJB(low
> possibility)
> there are 2 things i need to do.
>
> 1)i need to noe if i ve been missing out on some of
> the capabilities, which
> i did not implement
> 2) i need to write in my report the major advantages
> my web application has
> over the others. I noe jsp/servlets are the best
> around but i cant quite
> explain.
>
> However, some kind souls have emailed me and
> explained to me and help clear
> some of my doubts.

Please share your conclusions.

To throw in my two cents regarding servlets over other
technologies:

ASP: It's from Microsoft, and a lot of people don't
trust Microsoft. Plus their solutions are easy to
initially implement but difficult to maintain and
extend. Plus it's ONLY from Microsoft. So if you like
ASP but don't like how MS treats you or how much they
charge, you have nowhere to go.

PHP: I haven't done much with PHP, but I think a
couple of disadvantages compared to servlets/JSP are:
1.I don't think PHP can handle threads. 2. Unlike
Java, PHP really can't be used in non-web apps.

ColdFusion: Don't know much about it. But again I
believe there is only one vendor.

RE: J2EE, JSP, SERVLETS

Re: J2EE, JSP, SERVLETS

Posted by Rick K <bi...@yahoo.com>.

Re: What does manager do anyway?

Posted by August Detlefsen <au...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Craig, Glad to know I can add a servlet without having to
restart the entire server! I'll try a redeploy for the next servlet I
add.

As for the sessions, prior to installing this servlet, they were in
fact getting dropped each time I reloaded with the manager. I was
forced to login again with every start-stop. Could this be because the
webapp was strictly JSP, with no servlet component?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, August Detlefsen wrote:

> Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 15:24:31 -0800 (PST)
> From: August Detlefsen <au...@yahoo.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: What does manager do anyway?
>
> Can I use manager to pick up changes in my webapp's web.xml?
>
> I added a new servlet and tried stop-start via the manager and it was
> not picked up. Likewise with manager/reload.
>
> Do I have to do a full remove-install for it to pick up the changes?

Yes.  That's a current restriction of the way that an application reload
is implemented (in org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext), not of the
manager webapp servlet itself.

> Also, isn't stopping and starting a context supposed to remove any
> active sessions in the context?

No (and this works across shutting down and restarting Tomcat as well).
As a matter of fact, if your session attributes are Serializable,
they will get saved and restored as well.  This is a tremendously helpful
feature when you're debugging a webapp that takes multiple interactions to
get to the page you're testing, you make a change, and don't want to take
the time to navigate from the top of your application's tree again.

Note, however, that this is a *Tomcat* feature, not anything required by
the specs, so you cannot count on it on any other server.

> -August

Craig

What does manager do anyway?