Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@google.com> on 2018/08/23 22:07:05 UTC

[Proposal] Track non-code contributions in Jira

Hi Beam Community,

I'd like to start tracking non-code contributions for Beam, specially
around these six categories:
1) Project Management
2) Community Management
3) Advocacy
4) Events & Meetups
5) Documentation
6) Training

The proposal would be to create six boards in Jira, one per proposed
category, and as part of this initiative also clean the already existing
"Project Management" component, i.e. making sure all issues there are still
relevant.

After this, I'd also create a landing page in the website that talks about
all types of contributions to the project.

The reason for doing this is mainly to give visibility to some of the great
work our community does beyond code pushes in Github. Initiatives around
Beam are starting to spark around the world, and it'd be great to become an
Apache project recognized for our outstanding community recognition.

What are your thoughts?

Gris

Re: [Proposal] Track non-code contributions in Jira

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>.
Jira is basically a fancy TODO list; if folks think it would be
helpful for tracking these kinds of contributions (e.g. there's a lot
of stuff that needs to be done for a successful meetup, or things like
"write a blog post about X") I think it's worth a try. I don't know
how useful it'd be for open-ended tasks (like those that fall under
"training"?) nor for recording stuff that happened (is it worth
creating a Jira entry for each talk that's given on Beam?). For
visibility/recognition, newsletters and blogposts may be a better
format.

But I'm certainly up for an experiment. Jira may be a bit awkward to
use, but probably better than introducing yet another tool.

Posted by Robert Burke <ro...@frantil.com>.
+1

Posted by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@google.com>.

Posted by Hadar Hod <ha...@google.com>.
+1

Posted by Henning Rohde <he...@google.com>.
+1

Posted by Rose Nguyen <rt...@google.com>.
+1 Great idea

--

Rose Thi Nguyen

  Technical Writer

(281) 683-6900

Re: [Proposal] Track non-code contributions in Jira

Posted by Mikhail Gryzykhin <mi...@google.com>.
+1. Idea sounds great.

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.
+1 Code is just one part of a successful open-source project. As long as
the tasks are properly labelled and actionable, I think it works to put
them into JIRA.

On 24.08.18 15:09, Matthias Baetens wrote:

> I fully agree and think it is a great idea.
>
> I think that, next to visibility and keeping track of everything that is
> going on in the community, the other goal would be documenting best
> practices for future use.
>
> I am also not sure, though, if JIRA is the best place to do so, as
> Austin raised.
> Introducing (yet) another tool on the other hand, might also not be
> ideal. Has anyone else experience with this from other Apache projects?
>
> On Fri, 24 Aug 2018 at 06:04 Austin Bennett <whatwouldaustindo@gmail.com
> <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Certainly tracking and managing these are important -- though, is
>     Jira the best tool for these things?
>
>     I do see it useful to put in Jira tickets in for my director to have
>     conversations on specific topics with people, for consensus
>     building, etc etc.  So, I have seen it work even for non-coding tasks.
>
>     It seems like much of #s 2-6 mentioned requires project management
>     applied to those specific domains and is applicable elsewhere,
>     wondering what constitutes "pure" project management in #1 (as it
>     applies here)...?  In that light I'm just getting picky about
>     taxonomy :-)
>

>     On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 3:10 PM Alan Myrvold <amyrvold@google.com
>     <ma...@google.com>> wrote:
>
>         I like the idea of recognizing non-code contributions. These
>         other efforts have been very helpful.
>
>         On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 3:07 PM Griselda Cuevas <gris@google.com
>         <ma...@google.com>> wrote:
>
>             Hi Beam Community,
>
>             I'd like to start tracking non-code contributions for Beam,
>             specially around these six categories:
>             1) Project Management
>             2) Community Management
>             3) Advocacy
>             4) Events & Meetups
>             5) Documentation
>             6) Training
>
>             The proposal would be to create six boards in Jira, one per
>             proposed category, and as part of this initiative also clean
>             the already existing "Project Management" component, i.e.
>             making sure all issues there are still relevant.
>
>             After this, I'd also create a landing page in the website
>             that talks about all types of contributions to the project.
>
>             The reason for doing this is mainly to give visibility to
>             some of the great work our community does beyond code pushes
>             in Github. Initiatives around Beam are starting to spark
>             around the world, and it'd be great to become an Apache
>             project recognized for our outstanding community recognition.
>
>             What are your thoughts?
>
>             Gris

Max

Re: [Proposal] Track non-code contributions in Jira

Posted by Matthias Baetens <ba...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> Certainly tracking and managing these are important -- though, is Jira the
> best tool for these things?
>
> I do see it useful to put in Jira tickets in for my director to have
> conversations on specific topics with people, for consensus building, etc
> etc.  So, I have seen it work even for non-coding tasks.
>
> It seems like much of #s 2-6 mentioned requires project management applied
> to those specific domains and is applicable elsewhere, wondering what
> constitutes "pure" project management in #1 (as it applies here)...?  In
> that light I'm just getting picky about taxonomy :-)
>

> On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 3:10 PM Alan Myrvold <am...@google.com> wrote:
>
>> I like the idea of recognizing non-code contributions. These other
>> efforts have been very helpful.
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 3:07 PM Griselda Cuevas <gr...@google.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Beam Community,
>>>
>>> I'd like to start tracking non-code contributions for Beam, specially
>>> around these six categories:
>>> 1) Project Management
>>> 2) Community Management
>>> 3) Advocacy