Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com> on 2019/10/19 09:53:57 UTC

Upgrade build requirement to Java 13?

Hello all

SIS currently requires Java 11 for building, but the compilation result
is executable on Java 8. Is there objection to upgrade the build
requirement to Java 13? The compilation result however would continue to
target Java 8 for now.

The reason is that there is some minor changes in number formatting,
with 'NO-BREAK SPACE' (U+00A0) replaced by 'NARROW NO-BREAK SPACE'
(U+202F) in French locale. Requesting the latest Java version at
compile-time avoid the need to complexify a JUnit test by making it
tolerant to 2 Java versions.

     Martin

Re: Upgrade build requirement to Java 13?

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.
Actually there is apparently a conflict between Java 11 and Java 13
about the HTML header tags (<h2>, <h4>) that we are supposed to use in
Javadoc comments. When the checks for HTML tags is enabled (which SIS
build does), javac emit an error if unexpected numbers is used. Since we
can not be compatible with both Java 11 and Java 13 (unless we disable
the checks), I took the initiative to upgrade the build requirement to
Java 13. Reminder: this is only for building SIS; the compilation result
is still executable on Java 8.

If there is any objection against this move, I can try to restore the
possibility to build with Java 11 using Maven profile.

     Martin