Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net> on 2001/01/16 21:28:16 UTC

It didn't "work" [change your pathetic canned msg] (fwd)

For those who might not know, "press@apache.org" gets spammed about 2-3
times a day by people who think that somehow apache.org or the ASF is
responsible for the fact that their favorite site has just had its web
server reinstalled.  Below is a nicer message - sometimes we have people
complaining that their favorite teen pr0n site is down, and they'll see us
in court.  Sigh.

I would like to propose that the default page that comes up when the
server is installed contains *no* link to any apache.org site.  The only
links might be the ones coming from pages deep in the manual to external
resources, if any.  Generally the people who send these message are going
to be too clueless to know they would need to enter "www.apache.org" in
their web browsers to find us, and it's certainly not the webmasters
themselves who installed the software who are going to be set back by
this.  Comments?

	Brian

It didn't "work" [change your pathetic canned msg]

Re: It didn't "work" [change your pathetic canned msg] (fwd)

Posted by Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com>.
+1

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> I would like to propose that the default page that comes up when the
> server is installed contains *no* link to any apache.org site.

+1.. not that it will make any difference.  There are too many
distributions out there already.  A major part of the spam
is *about* spam (meta-spam?) originating from some system that
someone just installed Red Hat on so they could start spamming.
That is, the plaintiffs get mail from such-and-such an address
or domain, so they plug that into their browser, see the 'it worked'
page, and it's all our fault.

A significant number of those are for 1.2 versions of Apache.

Bear in mind that the docco translation people will need to
translate the new document, too, so a note to the apache-docs
list would be good to support the CVS message.
--
#ken    P-)}

Re: It didn't "work" [change your pathetic canned msg] (fwd)

Posted by Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>.
On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 12:28:16PM -0800, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> I would like to propose that the default page that comes up when the
> server is installed contains *no* link to any apache.org site.

+1. I would suggest that the page doesn't even need to mention the
word "Apache".