Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Catherine Miller <cm...@mortardata.com> on 2013/05/08 16:15:03 UTC

NVL

I'd like to write a java UDF that functions more or less the same as a SQL
NVL command.  I've been stymied on writing a general function by the fact
that I want it to work on all data types--in particular chararrays and
numeric types.  If I extend EvalFunc<Object> then even if what I return is
a Double, Pig can't use it in a subsequent numeric calculation.

Any suggestions?  Has someone already written this UDF?

Thanks,
Cat

Re: NVL

Posted by Ramakrishna Nalam <nr...@gmail.com>.
Dont know about the NVL operator in detail, but seems ternary (bincond)
operator can fit the bill?
http://pig.apache.org/docs/r0.10.0/basic.html#artichmetic-ops

Regards,
Rama.