Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2004/03/28 17:14:46 UTC

[ID] UUID in JDK 1.5

FYI: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/jcp/beta1/apidiffs/java/util/UUID.html

Seems to me that it would make sense to have code in our library that
provides a compatible interface.

	--- Noel

RE: [ID] UUID in JDK 1.5

Posted by Tim Reilly <ti...@consultant.com>.
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > FYI:
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/jcp/beta1/apidiffs/java/util/UUID.html
> >
> > Seems to me that it would make sense to have code in our library that
> > provides a compatible interface.
>
> Phil Steitz wrote:
> Noel,
>
> I agree with you, and I don't see anything that would be difficult for us
> to provide there.  We could fairly easily extend o.a.c.id.UUID to match
> the JDK 1.5 API.  Am I missing anything, Tim?

Sorry I didn't respond earlier.

Ditto, makes sense to me as well. It should be easy enough to do. I still
need to implement the version 3 uuid generation. Currently, we have version
1 and 4 (version 2 is reserved for backward compatibility.) The jdk 1.5
covers versions 3 and 4 (btw: thanks Noel, I hadn't seen this.)

--
I wanted to post a "next steps"/to-do to get any thoughts on it:
 1) Basic clean up. This is complete except the patches I'd sent caused some

 2) Part of the patches I'd sent contained the option to indicate
	if Random or SecureRandom should be used in the version 4 generator.
	I will separate into a separate patch;
	or commit on my own depending on time-frames.

 3) Make the modification to mirror the jdk 1.5 api
	(return NotYetImplemented from the version 3 calls until (4))

 4) Create the version 3 implementation.

 5) As Phil indicated getting stability data from more and varied tests is
probably in order.
	I'm thinking I might set up a long running multi-client test just for
assurance sake.
	More unit tests.
	Performance data would be nice.

 6) ... any thoughts?

Re: [ID] UUID in JDK 1.5

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> FYI: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/jcp/beta1/apidiffs/java/util/UUID.html
>
> Seems to me that it would make sense to have code in our library that
> provides a compatible interface.

Noel,

I agree with you, and I don't see anything that would be difficult for us
to provide there.  We could fairly easily extend o.a.c.id.UUID to match
the JDK 1.5 API.  Am I missing anything, Tim?

Phil