Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> on 2013/05/28 23:45:58 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache CouchDB 1.3.1-rc.1

Dear community,

I would like to release Apache CouchDB 1.3.1-rc.1.

Changes since last round:

 *
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=couchdb.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/1.3.x

We encourage the whole community to download and test these release
artefacts so that any critical issues can be resolved before the release is
made. Everyone is free to vote on this release, so get stuck in!

The release artefacts we are voting on are available here:

    wget
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/couchdb/source/1.3.1/rc.1/apache-couchdb-1.3.1.tar.gz
    wget
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/couchdb/source/1.3.1/rc.1/apache-couchdb-1.3.1.tar.gz.asc
    wget
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/couchdb/source/1.3.1/rc.1/apache-couchdb-1.3.1.tar.gz.ish
    wget
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/couchdb/source/1.3.1/rc.1/apache-couchdb-1.3.1.tar.gz.md5
    wget
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/couchdb/source/1.3.1/rc.1/apache-couchdb-1.3.1.tar.gz.sha

Please follow the test procedure here:

    http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Test_procedure

Please remember that "rc.1" is an annotation. If the vote passes, these
artefacts will be released as Apache CouchDB 1.3.1.

Please cast your votes now.

NS

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache CouchDB 1.3.1-rc.1

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Is anyone available to look at 140-attachment-comp.t?

Given the problems this is going to cause for downstream, I am currently -1
on this rc.

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Also, is there any place I can look that would alert me to these failures
before I do the whole release procedure?

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Sigs: OK

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Aborting this release.

I will be adding two additional items to the release procedure following
recent events:

 * We cannot ship a release that has broken tests
 * We must leave releases in /dist for a time period after we drop support

Both items are with the explicit intention of making downstream packaging
of CouchDB easier. I believe this is a high priority item for the release
team.

I will start the -rc2 vote when the test is fixed or removed.

Hoping someone will jump in here to assist! :)

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:
> I'm worried about it for two reasons:
>
> 1) It sets a precedent  The test suite forms a "contract" between us and
> our users. They expect it to work. If we're prepared to ship software with
> failing tests, then what is the point of the tests?
>
> 2) I was recently contacted by the Homebrew people, and we had a
> conversation about tests. Apparently, they rely on "make distcheck", and
> when the tests fail, the build fails. They will not be the only downstream
> packagers that rely on this functionality.

most of the packager are indeed... In the mean time I was looking for
a ticket attached to it, can anyone that havve issue with it can open
one with the verbose logs eventually?

- benoit

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache CouchDB 1.3.1-rc.1

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.