Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@easystreet.com> on 2003/04/03 03:41:49 UTC

Tomcat RMI and Eclipse

Hi, I have a puzzler and hope someone on this group might be able to give me a few pointers as to where to look for a solution....  I am running the Tomcat 4.1.18 server on a Win2000 machine and am developing a servlet which will act as an RMI client and makes remote calls to another machine. For the most part this RMI link is working, especially for remote method calls which pass and/or return simple Java objects such as ints or strings. However, I have one method which I call that passes and returns a more complex object (which has been declared as serializable) and it is with this method that I am having a problem/puzzler.

For development purposes, I am using the Eclipse IDE with the Tomcat plugin. When I run the Tomcat server from within the Eclipse IDE, and test out my servlet, everything works fine including all RMI calls, and in particular the call to this remote method to which I am passing and returning a more complex Java object!

However, when I run the Tomcat server standalone, when the servlet makes this particular RMI call, to this method passing and returning the complex Java object, I get the following exception:

java.rmi.ServerException: RemoteException occurred in server thread; nested exception is:

java.rmi.UnmarshalException: error unmarshalling arguments; nested exception is:

java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol: Group/Tomcat

Note, the servlet has made a number of RMI calls to the remote object, successfully, prior to making this particular call. Why this particular call works when Tomcat is running within the Eclipse IDE and fails when Tomcat is running standalone has got me puzzled! It does not matter whether I turn debugging on or off for the Tomcat server either. I thought maybe there  could be some kind of race condition but these calls all occur within the main servlet thread, so I don't understand how that could be the case. Nor can I come up with anything that might be timing related.... I have also checked all supporting Jar files and made sure they were the same...  Any ideas on what else might be different between the Eclipse IDE and the Tomcat standalone environment?

Any thoughts appreciated....   Marc....

Do you think the software industry will ever make software
that is as easy and reliable for a user to use
as the automobile industry makes a car easy and reliable
 for a user to drive?
A man said unto the universe -  "Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe  "I do not see where that creates in me a sense of an obligation."
          - Stephen Crane

Re: Tomcat RMI and Eclipse

Posted by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@easystreet.com>.
Well as promised, am reporting back. Christian was right and installing Tomcat into a directory with no spaces embedded in the path
names fixes the RMI problem. I noted in bugzilla that this problem has already been reported, (Bug #4543) and was resolved with the
solution that it is not going to be fixed. The basis for this decision appears to be that the problem with creating the URL is deep
within the JDK itself, and not within Tomcat's code.

Unless Sun is willing to commit to a quick resolution and provide a fix soon in the JDK, I would like to vote against this decision.
(I was unable to do so in the Bugzilla data base, as it appears to have a bug also and will not allow me to gain access or change my
password.) This could be fixed by changing the default installation directory for Tomcat such that no embedded spaces are allowed in
the installation path. Otherwise, this will render the development of RMI code within servlets to be extremely difficult for
new/other developers. I feel that RMI is an important technology, should be supported by Tomcat, and not be handicapped by such
obstacles.

     Marc....

Posted by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@easystreet.com>.

Re: Tomcat RMI and Eclipse

Posted by Christian Traber <ch...@traber-net.de>.
Hi,

Re: Tomcat RMI and Eclipse

Posted by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@easystreet.com>.
Thanks Jean for replying.. No, this complex object just contains a lot of ints, doubles, strings, 2 vectors,  and associated
accessor methods.  I tracked down what was being stored in the two vectors that this object has, and one just contains strings, the
other contains a set of another complex object, (defined in the same package) but this second object is also serializable and only
contains strings, booleans, and ints. So there are no references to an "Eclipse" object or any other non-seralizeable objects or
unknown objects. All these class definitions are contained within the jar file that is registered to the codebase for the RMI
server. Also all these class definitions are stored within jar files that are placed within the WEB-INF/lib directory of the servlet
context of the Tomcat server.

It was a good thought though :-) but I am still perplexed!....  Marc....

Posted by Jean-Francois Arcand <jf...@apache.org>.

Re: Tomcat RMI and Eclipse

Re: Tomcat RMI and Eclipse

Posted by Chris Gokey <cg...@gcmd.nasa.gov>.