Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Robert La Ferla <ro...@o-ms.com> on 2010/10/15 18:58:53 UTC

SSL/TLS, Tomcat 6.0.29 and Chrome: The connection had to be retried using SSL 3.0.

  When users connect to our Tomcat 6.0.29 using Google Chrome, they get
this warning when they click the security icon:

"The connection had to be retried using SSL 3.0.  This typically means
that the server is using very old software and may have other security
issues."

Tomcat is configured using this:

<Connector port="xxx" address="xxxx" protocol="HTTP/1.1" SSLEnabled="true"
enableLooks="false" compression="on"
                keystoreFile="xxxx/certificate.keystore" keystorePass="xxxx"
                clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS" />

I believe we are using  OpenSSL 0.9.8f on Solaris 10.  Not sure how to
tell which SSL library tomcat is using.

How do I fix this?  We have to support multiple browser/versions: IE6,
IE7, IE8, FF, Chrome...  so whatever solution should allow for this.

--
- --
Robert La Ferla

This message (and any attachments) contains confidential information and is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or the taking of any action based on this message, is strictly prohibited.

Re: SSL/TLS, Tomcat 6.0.29 and Chrome: The connection had to be retried using SSL 3.0.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 15/10/2010 18:26, Robert La Ferla wrote:
>  On 10/15/2010 1:14 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> Those two statements are not consistent. Your connector config is for
>> JSSE, not OpenSSL.
>>
>> Tomcat uses TLS by default[1]. See [2] for other options for sslProtocol
>
> We are indeed using JSSE.  The link for #2 just pointed at the general
> Java docs.  What specific class did you intend to post a link to?

Grr. Frames. Grr.

http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides//security/StandardNames.html

Mark

Re: SSL/TLS, Tomcat 6.0.29 and Chrome: The connection had to be retried using SSL 3.0.

Posted by Robert La Ferla <ro...@o-ms.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

[1] http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/http.html#SSL_Support
[2] http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/index.html

RE: SSL/TLS, Tomcat 6.0.29 and Chrome: The connection had to be retried using SSL 3.0.

Posted by Maximilian Stocker <ma...@talentoyster.com>.
Wrong reply. The second reply is from a Google employee and there links there to another thread on the subject.

If you are only having this problem with chrome then it may well be related to this. Clearing the cache etc won't help if the clients connections are being proxied, maybe.

If you are having problems with other browsers then just ignore this.

Posted by Robert La Ferla <ro...@o-ms.com>.

Posted by Maximilian Stocker <ma...@talentoyster.com>.