Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Aj...@TDWaterhouse.com on 2005/12/15 21:08:48 UTC

FW: Using ProxyClient.java

-----Original Message-----
From: Oleg Kalnichevski [mailto:oleg@ural.ru]
Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2005 3:07 PM
To: Sahoo, Ajaya
Subject: Re: Using ProxyClient.java

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 14:55 -0500, AjayaSahoo@tdwaterhouse.com wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>

> I am using a rmi client (using SWING) to communicate to RMI server
> outside my firewall. I would like to use ProxyClient to establish the
> communication. Am I correct? If so is there any code that I can use to
> test this?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Ajaya Sahoo

Hello Ajaya

Could you please post all your HttpClient related questions to the
httpclient-user@jakarta.apache.org mailing list?

I (as well as many other Apache committers) prefer to not answer
questions related to Apache software sent privately

Oleg

Re: FW: Using ProxyClient.java

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 15:08 -0500, AjayaSahoo@TDWaterhouse.com wrote:

> [...]

Ajaya,

I do not know about RMI that much, so take my opinion for what it is
worth. ProxyClient can indeed be used to establish a tunneled connection
via a proxy. However, what you get in the end is a raw socket. What I am
not sure about is whether you can easily make an RMI client use that
socket to marshal / unmarshal RMI packets.

If you need a remoting mechanism that can be tunneled via a proxy you
should consider using SOAP over HTTP or XML-RPC over HTTP instead of RMI

Hope this helps

Oleg