Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com> on 2006/06/29 23:37:40 UTC

"getopt" tests shouldn't look for exact help text

The "getopt" tests should be testing that command-line options are basically
recognised, so e.g. a sensible test would be that "svn --help" produces output
containing the words "usage" and "add" and "blame" and "cat".  What they
currently do is check that the output matches exactly what is recorded in a
template file, except for a few specific transformations.  We have no
requirement or intention that the help text remain exactly the same from one
version to the next, so we shouldn't be testing for that.

If anyone fancies doing something about it, be my guest.

- Julian

Re: "getopt" tests shouldn't look for exact help text

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 6/29/06, Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, Julian Foad wrote:
>
> > The "getopt" tests should be testing that command-line options are
> > basically recognised, so e.g. a sensible test would be that "svn --help"
> > produces output containing the words "usage" and "add" and "blame" and
> > "cat".  What they currently do is check that the output matches exactly
> > what is recorded in a template file, except for a few specific
> > transformations.  We have no requirement or intention that the help text
> > remain exactly the same from one version to the next, so we shouldn't be
> > testing for that.
>
> I too find this annoying.

+1

-garrett

Re: "getopt" tests shouldn't look for exact help text

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.
On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, Julian Foad wrote:

> The "getopt" tests should be testing that command-line options are
> basically recognised, so e.g. a sensible test would be that "svn --help"
> produces output containing the words "usage" and "add" and "blame" and
> "cat".  What they currently do is check that the output matches exactly
> what is recorded in a template file, except for a few specific
> transformations.  We have no requirement or intention that the help text
> remain exactly the same from one version to the next, so we shouldn't be
> testing for that.

I too find this annoying.