Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com> on 2021/12/30 22:39:57 UTC

[DISCUSS] Starting social media accounts for subprojects

We recently had an idea discussed on a video call about potentially starting some Twitter et al. accounts for announcing releases, release candidates, and larger upcoming changes to subprojects (e.g., changing the minimum major version of the underlying programming language or build tooling, major version releases like 2.x -> 3.x, etc). While the dev list remains our official place to discuss development, it would be immensely useful for communicating with our wider user base about changes that may be more relevant to them than to active developers and contributors.

What do you all think? If we do make accounts, would it make sense to divide them into accounts like @log4j, @log4net, @log4cxx, etc., or should they be created like a common account for the whole Logging PMC? And which social media sites would be best to use here? Twitter is an obvious choice, but there could also be other tech-heavy social media sites that would also benefit.
--
Matt Sicker

Re: [DISCUSS] Starting social media accounts for subprojects

Posted by Davyd McColl <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 for accounts per project

-d

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
These are great questions. I figure any PMC member should feel free to post release related announcements there. For responding to users, I think we can start with our own accounts and use the shared one for when the PMC wants to make a shared statement (which can be agreed on through the private list or similar).

For non-release type posts, I think it would make sense for lazy approval type consensus or something along those lines. We could also take a look at what other PMCs do with their social media accounts.

—
Matt Sicker

Posted by Volkan Yazıcı <vo...@yazi.ci>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@apache.org>.
I think thats long overdue and recall we had a component Twitter account for log4php.
Later today I will check if I can find the passwords.
The component is dormant, but its worth having access shared with the PMC still

https://twitter.com/log4php/

--
The Apache Software Foundation
V.P., Data Privacy