Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by James Thomas <ja...@jamesthom.as> on 2019/04/09 11:13:31 UTC

OpenWhisk Client JS: Reducing Package Install Size?

Recent changes to the JS SDK (
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-client-js/pull/147) led to an
unfortunate issue where the new feature pulled in an external dependency
which led to a significant increase in the install size for the NPM
package.

https://packagephobia.now.sh/result?p=openwhisk@3.19.0

Thanks to Nick Mitchell for spotting this and opening the issue to work out
how best to fix this.
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-client-js/issues/158

Whilst we do still want to support HTTP/S proxies being used with the
library, importing that external dependency directly is not a realistic
solution due to the impact of all users. I've written up a few possible
options and wanted to get community feedback before proceeding. Does anyone
else have any other potential solutions or feedback on the suggetions? See
the Github issue for details.

Based on this problem, I've also opened some other issues to help make sure
this kind of issue doesn't happen again
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-client-js/issues/159> and
also reduce build size
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-client-js/issues/160> even
further. Does anyone have any feedback on those proposals?

James Thomas