Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> on 2002/01/16 03:50:01 UTC

Proposed Migration to DBCP Based Connection Pool

I am going to propose that we switch to a connection pool based on the
commons-dbcp (and commons-pool) packages as the "preferred" data source
implementation for Struts 1.1.  The existing implementation already has
equivalent functionality to what org.apache.struts.util.GenericDataSource
covers, and it will shortly have some additional very useful things (such
as caching PreparedStatement instances for reuse).

Towards that end, I'm adding dependencies in the Struts build scripts for
commons-dbcp.jar and commons-pool.jar.  You'll want to update your build
environments to include definitions for these properties.

Craig

Re: Proposed Migration to DBCP Based Connection Pool

Posted by Oleg V Alexeev <oa...@apache.org>.
Hello Craig,

+1

CRM> I am going to propose that we switch to a connection pool based on the
CRM> commons-dbcp (and commons-pool) packages as the "preferred" data source
CRM> implementation for Struts 1.1.  The existing implementation already has
CRM> equivalent functionality to what org.apache.struts.util.GenericDataSource
CRM> covers, and it will shortly have some additional very useful things (such
CRM> as caching PreparedStatement instances for reuse).

CRM> Towards that end, I'm adding dependencies in the Struts build scripts for
CRM> commons-dbcp.jar and commons-pool.jar.  You'll want to update your build
CRM> environments to include definitions for these properties.

CRM> Craig

CRM> --

Best regards,
 Oleg                            mailto:oalexeev@apache.org

Re: Proposed Migration to DBCP Based Connection Pool

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Martin Cooper wrote:

> Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 21:13:26 -0800
> From: Martin Cooper <ma...@tumbleweed.com>
> To: Struts Developers List <st...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: Proposed Migration to DBCP Based Connection Pool
>
> +1
>
> That's cool. In my "day job", we've been going round and round on whether to
> go with PoolMan or DBCP. I'm -0 on PoolMan mostly because the author seems
> to want to dump it, but other folks are -0 on DBCP because it's not yet
> released.
>
> Presumably, we can help push for a Pool release and then a DBCP release, and
> have all our ducks in a row for Struts 1.1. Not sure if I can help with
> that, but I'll take a look.

As soon as the BasicDataSource class that I checked in to DBCP is tested
some, I'm going to push for a 1.0 release.  The underlying code in DBCP
and POOL seems very solid.  And I "stole" the BasicDataSource and
BasicDataSourceFactory code from Tomcat, where it's received at least a
little testing (we're most likely going to switch from Tyrex to DBCP as
well).

> Any thoughts on how the new kid on the (Commons) block - jdbc2pool - might
> fit in to the scheme of things?

At the moment, it implements javax.sql.ConnectionPoolDataSource instead of
javax.sql.DataSource (which is what all J2EE servers provide).  I've asked
why they went that direction, but haven't seen a reply yet.

> --
> Martin Cooper

Craig