Posted to pylucene-dev@lucene.apache.org by Thomas Koch <ko...@orbiteam.de> on 2012/08/08 16:42:26 UTC

PyLucene 3.6 build on MacOS and PyLucene website

Hi,

I'm also running Mac OS now (besides windows still ,-) and was able to build
& install PyLucene 3.6.0.2 on MacOS-X (10.7/intel/Python2.7) without any
problems - that's the good news.

However it was quite difficult for me to get the download files and
installation instructions:

Download:

-------------

>From http://lucene.apache.org/pylucene/ there is no visible download link
(it even does not contain the word "Download"). There is a hint "Source
distributions are available
<http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/lucene/pylucene/> here." on the main
page, below "News", though.

The Install page at http://lucene.apache.org/pylucene/install.html has a
download link in the news on the bottom of the page:

"Lucene can be downloaded from
<http://lucene.apache.org/core/mirrors-core-3x-redir.html?>
http://lucene.apache.org/core/mirrors-core-3x-redir.html " ,but this page
only lists the Java version.

In the end I did open this manually "crafted" URL
www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/lucene/ and was able to browse to a /pylucene/
folder. (because I didn't see the "source dist" hint in the first place).

Install:

--------

On the Install page at http://lucene.apache.org/pylucene/install.html there
are broken links:

"see JCC's  <site:jcc/documentation/install> installation instructions " ->
site:jcc/documentation/install

The file INSTALL in the distribution says

--

Please see doc/documentation/install.html or

http://lucene.apache.org/pylucene/documentation/install.html

--

But there is no "doc" directory in the distribution! (Same for README which
points to non-existing  'doc/documentation/readme.html' - and the jcc/README

There was some discussion about fixes to the website on the mailing list, so
I thought this would be worth mentioning.

Note there is a nice download button on the Java Lucene site at
lucene.apache.org - that's probably the first thing most devs are looking
for ,-)

regards
Thomas

Re: PyLucene 3.6 build on MacOS and PyLucene website

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 23 Aug 2012, Robert Muir wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> I can now retract my 'crying shame' comment on the site. A bunch of work is
>> still needed but there is enough critical mass there to get the formatting
>> correct proceeding by example. Before it was a "oh, where do I even start,
>> kind of mess"
>>

> A few things i noticed (in general I didnt want to try to change
> content or anything like that but just fix formatting and links so
> things are readable and work)
>
> * does pylucene have a logo?
>
> it currently uses the lucene logo. on the other hand, if we want to
> keep the current logo we could at least apply the shadow'd apache
> feather to make it nicer: compare the lucene logo at
> http://lucene.apache.org/ with http://lucene.apache.org/pylucene

No, it doesn't have a logo. I think using Lucene's logo is fine.
If people disagree and want to contribute a logo, by all means !

> * does pylucene want the slides functionality that is on
> http://lucene.apache.org/core/ and http://lucene.apache.org/solr ? if
> so we just need a list of some 'text snippets/slogans' to rotate
> through, could probably reuse the lucene core images.

I don't think it's a must but if people want to contribute text snippets and
set that up, it sure looks nice.

> * should the pylucene download button appear under jcc/ pages? I
> wasn't sure if it should, but thats easy to fix.

Yes, but it should then point at the http://pypi.python.org/pypi/JCC/2.13
URL which might be a bit touchy with regards to Apache's rules.

> * pylucene and jcc "Features" pages are really "Documentation", this
> is a little confusing. I think the link should be renamed
> "Documentation" and maybe have a separate features list like
> http://lucene.apache.org/core/features.html ?

Agreed. Their current name came over from the 'forrest' content.

> * the application of italics/bold is somewhat arbitrary: I did this
> because previously these had <code>...</code> which causes a big blue
> blockquoted section with line breaks, useful really for code examples
> but not for reference to functions or class names. If there is some
> defined scheme (java class name monospace, functions italics, command
> lines and arguments bold, or whatever), it could probably be more
> consistent.

Looks great to me. I originally wanted all code to use a fixed width font
and respect the indentation of the source file, thus the code blocks. This
worked fine with Forrest but markdown thinks differently. As long as what
replaces the fixed width font for code is used consistently and respects
indentation so that code sames are legible, I'm happy with the change.

> * maybe in addition to the download 'button' there should also be a
> simple page with the information about how to retrieve older versions
> from the apache archives etc. (similar to
> http://lucene.apache.org/core/downloads.html)

+1 !

Andi..

Re: PyLucene 3.6 build on MacOS and PyLucene website

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org> wrote:

> I can now retract my 'crying shame' comment on the site. A bunch of work is
> still needed but there is enough critical mass there to get the formatting
> correct proceeding by example. Before it was a "oh, where do I even start,
> kind of mess"

A few things i noticed (in general I didnt want to try to change
content or anything like that but just fix formatting and links so
things are readable and work)

* does pylucene have a logo?

it currently uses the lucene logo. on the other hand, if we want to
keep the current logo we could at least apply the shadow'd apache
feather to make it nicer: compare the lucene logo at
http://lucene.apache.org/ with http://lucene.apache.org/pylucene

* does pylucene want the slides functionality that is on
http://lucene.apache.org/core/ and http://lucene.apache.org/solr ? if
so we just need a list of some 'text snippets/slogans' to rotate
through, could probably reuse the lucene core images.

* should the pylucene download button appear under jcc/ pages? I
wasn't sure if it should, but thats easy to fix.

* pylucene and jcc "Features" pages are really "Documentation", this
is a little confusing. I think the link should be renamed
"Documentation" and maybe have a separate features list like
http://lucene.apache.org/core/features.html ?

* the application of italics/bold is somewhat arbitrary: I did this
because previously these had <code>...</code> which causes a big blue
blockquoted section with line breaks, useful really for code examples
but not for reference to functions or class names. If there is some
defined scheme (java class name monospace, functions italics, command
lines and arguments bold, or whatever), it could probably be more
consistent.

* maybe in addition to the download 'button' there should also be a
simple page with the information about how to retrieve older versions
from the apache archives etc. (similar to
http://lucene.apache.org/core/downloads.html)

--
lucidworks.com

Re: PyLucene 3.6 build on MacOS and PyLucene website

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 23 Aug 2012, Robert Muir wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> Also, the jcc part of the site doesn't seem to be inheriting any of the css from the rest of the site.
>>

> Do you have an example URL where this is a problem? Maybe its a
> browser refresh issue?
>
> I see the correct CSS layout for all 3 files under jcc/
> http://lucene.apache.org/pylucene/jcc/
> http://lucene.apache.org/pylucene/jcc/features.html
> http://lucene.apache.org/pylucene/jcc/install.html

This is simply amazing !!
Last time I looked at the site, when integrating patches from Petrus a few
weeks ago, it still looked really bad.

This is looking so much better already. Whoever did this (Robert ?), thank
you so much. And, yes, it does look like the jcc part is looking just as
good as the rest.

A big thank you, this is quite a boost !

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

AW: PyLucene 3.6 build on MacOS and PyLucene website

Posted by Thomas Koch <ko...@orbiteam.de>.

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012, Robert Muir wrote:

> Sorry, I missed this thread and reported the same thing.
>
> I think i got the links working, I'll see if i can figure out some of
> this formatting.

Thanks, Robert !

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

--
lucidworks.com

Re: PyLucene 3.6 build on MacOS and PyLucene website

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.