Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by "Yap, Mow Ching (Gamer.tv)" <Mo...@gamer.tv> on 2003/01/27 12:00:07 UTC

caching "last-modified" in response header

does anyone know how to cache the last-modified value in the header for a
cached stream pipeline?

as far as i can tell, the stream pipeline in cache only stores the body of
the response. presumably the stream pipeline itself sets the response
headers for a cached response. is there anyway i can configure it to cache
and set the last-modified value in the header so that the servlet engine
sends out a 304 status code.

or even better, can cocoon itself set the 304 response based on the
last-modified date being equal to the if-modified-after?

cheers,
mooch.

DISCLAIMER - The preceding e-mail message (including any attachments)
contains information that may be confidential, may be protected by the
attorney-client or other applicable privileges, or may constitute non-public
information.  It is intended to be conveyed only to the designated
recipient(s) named above.  If you are not an intended recipient of this
message, please notify the sender by replying to this message and then
delete all copies of it from your computer system.  Any use, dissemination,
distribution, or reproduction of this message by unintended recipients is
not authorized and may be unlawful. The contents of this communication do
not necessarily represent the views of this company.

Re: caching "last-modified" in response header

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
> Yap, Mow Ching (Gamer.tv) wrote:
>
>> does anyone know how to cache the last-modified value in the header for a
>> cached stream pipeline?
>>
>> as far as i can tell, the stream pipeline in cache only stores the
>> body of
>> the response. presumably the stream pipeline itself sets the response
>> headers for a cached response. is there anyway i can configure it to
>> cache
>> and set the last-modified value in the header so that the servlet engine
>> sends out a 304 status code.
>>
>> or even better, can cocoon itself set the 304 response based on the
>> last-modified date being equal to the if-modified-after?
>>

> I've been thinking about it, and plan to work on that in the near
> future. What I want to do is to have a better support for proxy-friendly
> headers, including E-tags, If-modified-since, if-none-match and so on.
>
> As of now there is a pretty rough but working implementation of the
> expires header, mocking up the Apache's mod_expires module and
> directives. This is already a life saver for non (and not-su-much)
> dynamic pipelines but yes, I'm convinced that we have to go much further
> than this. Care to help?

did anybody ever tried Apache 2.0 mod_cache on top of a Cocoon system?
Pier maybe you could give people some advice on how to do this so they
can try thing out with the proxy-friendly headers.

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

Re: caching "last-modified" in response header

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Yap, Mow Ching (Gamer.tv) wrote:
> does anyone know how to cache the last-modified value in the header for a
> cached stream pipeline?
>
> as far as i can tell, the stream pipeline in cache only stores the body of
> the response. presumably the stream pipeline itself sets the response
> headers for a cached response. is there anyway i can configure it to cache
> and set the last-modified value in the header so that the servlet engine
> sends out a 304 status code.
>
> or even better, can cocoon itself set the 304 response based on the
> last-modified date being equal to the if-modified-after?

I've been thinking about it, and plan to work on that in the near
future. What I want to do is to have a better support for proxy-friendly
headers, including E-tags, If-modified-since, if-none-match and so on.

As of now there is a pretty rough but working implementation of the
expires header, mocking up the Apache's mod_expires module and
directives. This is already a life saver for non (and not-su-much)
dynamic pipelines but yes, I'm convinced that we have to go much further
than this. Care to help?

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino