Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/05 00:14:51 UTC

Please edit issue summaries

One of the primary uses of the issue summary is for the release's
release notes page.

Please try to update the summary for grammar, and also to be useful to
someone reading that page (even at the expense of describing exactly
what the fix is).  For example "update Gnip to set gnop option"
describes what you may have done to fix the bug, but an end-user would
rather see "NPE when using gnop option of Gnip component".

The summaries should be just detailed enough that a user can recognize
which ones may apply to issues they are having and know to click
through to the full bug description.

You may also notice that I tend to keep a running commentary of my
efforts to diagnose, reproduce, and ultimately solve the bug. I think
these also have value for people trying to determine if a particular
bug applies to their application. It can also be very helpful for
later developers who wonder why the code is in its current state; a
source code comment with a link to a particular issue may be
preferable to a long diatribe directly in the code!

These are just suggestions (that I try, and sometimes fail, to follow
myself) and, as with everything, are open to discussion and
refinement.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Please edit issue summaries

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 12:14 AM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please try to update the summary for grammar, and also to be useful to
> someone reading that page (even at the expense of describing exactly
> what the fix is).  For example "update Gnip to set gnop option"
> describes what you may have done to fix the bug, but an end-user would
> rather see "NPE when using gnop option of Gnip component".

I will call Gnip my next component despite any feature it will cover :-)
(sorry couldn't resist)

> These are just suggestions (that I try, and sometimes fail, to follow
> myself) and, as with everything, are open to discussion and
> refinement.

Totally agree here. I would like to have this formalized in some way
or the other.

Cheers
--
Massimo