Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Carmon Colvin <b_...@yahoo.com> on 2006/03/04 06:39:42 UTC

[users@httpd] Newbie with Install Problem

List,
I am trying to install Apache HTTP Server 2.0.55 on to Windows 2000 Pro using the MSI installer.

The installation wizard opens with the "Welcome to the Installation ....."  screen.
It reads "Apache HTTP Server 2.0.55 Setup is preparing the Installation Wizard which will guide you through the program setup process.  Please wait."

The "<Back" and "Next>" buttons are grayed out.  The "Cancel" button is the only one enabled.  It will sit like this, seemingly forever.  I have to assume that more than an hour is plenty for it to gather whatever information it needs to begin the installation.

At this point when I click "Cancel" I get a dialog box asking "Are you sure you want to cancel Apache HTTP Server 2.0 installation?.  Clicking "Yes" or "No" produces the same effect.  The dialog box goes away and the installation wizard becomes unresponsive.  It will stay in this state until I kill the Wizard through Task Manager.

I have verified that I am running msiexec version V 3.01.4000.1823. and I have rebooted countless times and have Googled my fingers off before I joined this list.  After attempting to run the installer a few times I searched the system registry for any occurance of "apache" and nothing was found.

Thanks.

B. Carmon Colvin

---------------------------------
 Yahoo! Mail

Re: [users@httpd] Newbie with Install Problem

Posted by Aleksandar Skodric <ap...@skodric.com>.
Hi,

Is there any log in Control Panel > Administrator tools > Event viewer
under application or error log?

Cheers,
Aleks

Posted by Carmon Colvin <b_...@yahoo.com>.

Carmon Colvin wrote:
> List,
> I am trying to install Apache HTTP Server 2.0.55 on to Windows 2000 Pro
> using the MSI installer.
>
> The installation wizard opens with the "Welcome to the Installation
> ....."  screen.
> It reads "Apache HTTP Server 2.0.55 Setup is preparing the Installation
> Wizard which will guide you through the program setup process.  Please
> wait."
>
> The "" buttons are grayed out.  The "Cancel" button is
> the only one enabled.  It will sit like this, seemingly forever.  I have
> to assume that more than an hour is plenty for it to gather whatever
> information it needs to begin the installation.
>
> At this point when I click "Cancel" I get a dialog box asking "Are you
> sure you want to cancel Apache HTTP Server 2.0 installation?.  Clicking
> "Yes" or "No" produces the same effect.  The dialog box goes away and
> the installation wizard becomes unresponsive.  It will stay in this
> state until I kill the Wizard through Task Manager.
>
> I have verified that I am running msiexec version V 3.01.4000.1823. and
> I have rebooted countless times and have Googled my fingers off before I
> joined this list.  After attempting to run the installer a few times I
> searched the system registry for any occurance of "apache" and nothing
> was found.
>
> Thanks.
>
> B. Carmon Colvin

B. Carmon Colvin

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Carmon Colvin <b_...@yahoo.com>.
List,
    I have discovered what my problem was.  Apparenly the install program attempts to make a connection to the web while on this initial screen.  In my case I have Norton Internet Security installed (this is a dev. machine) and it blocked the attempt.  I would normally expect Norton to pop-up a familiar screen with "[some program] is attempting to [do something]. Do you want to allow this?"  This never happened and Norton never allowed the installer to hit the web.  I disabled Norton,  and attempted to run the installer.  This time it worked and I have everything installed.

B. Carmon Colvin

Carmon Colvin <b_...@yahoo.com> wrote: List,