Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Udo Jüttner <Ud...@impress.com> on 2002/04/24 15:30:28 UTC

Problem with '$' character in file names?!

Hi there,

actually I want to create a jar file by using a fileset which in turn is fed
by a patternset. The situation is like below (ant 1.4.1 on SunOS 5.6 and JDK
1.3.1):
<patternset id="include.weblogiccl">
 <include name="weblogic/rmi/internal/dgc/DGCServer.class"/>
 <include name="weblogic/rmi/internal/dgc/DGCClientImpl$HeartBeat.class"/>
 <include name="weblogic/rmi/internal/dgc/DGCReferenceCounter.class"/>
 <include name="weblogic/rmi/internal/dgc/DGCClientImpl.class"/>
</patternset>
 <target name="weblogicSome">
  <jar jarfile="${dest.dir}/some.jar">
   <fileset dir="${tmp.dir}/some">
    <patternset refid="include.weblogiccl"/>
   </fileset>
  </jar>
 </target>

Everything works fine, except for that the file with the '$' character in
its name is NOT included into the jar file. Is there a known problem with
any special characters? I also tried to quote the '$' by using '\' - like
one does in UNIX shells.
Any help is welcome. Thanx in advance.

Bye,

Udo Jüttner
Research & Development
Engineering

IMPRESS SOFTWARE AG
Rotenburger Straße 21
30659 Hannover

Phone +49 (0)5 11 - 6 10 71 - 325
Fax 	+49 (0)5 11 - 6 10 71 - 320
Mobile	+49 (0)1 63 - 5 37 10 22

mailto:udo.juettner@IMPRESS.com
http://www.IMPRESS.com

Re: Problem with '$' character in file names?!

Posted by stephan beal <st...@wanderinghorse.net>.
On Wednesday 24 April 2002 15:30, Udo Jüttner wrote:
>  <include name="weblogic/rmi/internal/dgc/DGCClientImpl$HeartBeat.class"/>
> Everything works fine, except for that the file with the '$' character in
> its name is NOT included into the jar file. Is there a known problem with
> any special characters? I also tried to quote the '$' by using '\' - like
> one does in UNIX shells.
> Any help is welcome. Thanx in advance.

That looks like exactly the same problem as the post i just made on ant-devel
about property replacement in general in general. Here the important bit:

Assumption: net.sf.antcontrib.logic.PropExpansionTest is a simple task which
just takes the given character data and prints it out, doing property
replacement if replaceproperties="true".

<taskdef name="propexpand"
classname="net.sf.antcontrib.logic.PropExpansionTest"/>

<property name="whattodrink" value="milk"/>
<propexpand replaceproperties="true">
        $foo = "${whattodrink}";
        print "foo=$foo\n";
</propexpand>

<propexpand replaceproperties="false">
        $foo = "${whattodrink}";
        print "foo=$foo\n";
</propexpand>

It produces this output:
property expansion = [true]
text=
        foo = "milk";
        print "foo=foo\n";

property expansion = [false]
text=
        $foo = "${whattodrink}";
        print "foo=$foo\n";

Note all the missing dollar signs in the first one.

----- stephan
stephan@einsurance.de - http://www.einsurance.de
Office: +49 (89)  552 92 862 Handy:  +49 (179) 211 97 67
"I didn't give in to the Nazis and I won't give in to the bladder."
- The Queen Mum

Re: Problem with '$' character in file names?!

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Udo Jüttner <Ud...@impress.com> wrote:

> Everything works fine, except for that the file with the '$'
> character in its name is NOT included into the jar file.

Ant up to 1.4.1 swallows all characters that iimediately follow a $
sign.  Escape it with another dollar.

weblogic/rmi/internal/dgc/DGCClientImpl$$HeartBeat.class

and you are done.

This will still work but no longer be necessary in Ant 1.5.

Stefan

RE: Problem with '$' character in file names?!