Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by "Schad, Bjoern-Bernhard (EXT-Redknee - DE/Berlin)" <bj...@redknee.com> on 2013/06/14 12:00:03 UTC

Migration needed when updating within an Hadoop release

Hi,

has it ever happened that a migration of persistent data has been needed (or automatically executed) when updating a Hadoop installation within a release?

If so, where could I find information regarding such needed migration?

I would be interested because the runtime of such migration would probably depend on the amount of managed data and had to be planned.

Thank you very much,
Björn

--
Redknee (Germany) GmbH
Geschäftsleitung / Board of Directors: Chris Newton-Smith

Re: Migration needed when updating within an Hadoop release

Posted by Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Björn,

> - But what about minor updates, e. g. from 1.0.1 to 1.0.4? Has this ever happened for such updates?

You will probably see log messages like 'RPC version mismatch', in this case you have to upgrade the filesystem. If not - all well :)

> - What about HBase minor releases in this context? Have data model changes/ conversions/ migrations ever happened between minor releases?

Yes, but not regularly. Please see my next answer.

> - Is there a similar wiki page describing HBase upgrade?

http://hbase.apache.org/upgrading.html

Cheers,
 Alex

--
Alexander Alten-Lorenz
http://mapredit.blogspot.com

Re: Migration needed when updating within an Hadoop release

Posted by Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Björn,

Posted by Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Björn,

Posted by Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Björn,

Posted by "Schad, Bjoern-Bernhard (EXT-Redknee - DE/Berlin)" <bj...@redknee.com>.
Hello Alexander,

thanks for your reply. This is very interesting for me indeed.

- But what about minor updates, e. g. from 1.0.1 to 1.0.4? Has this ever happened for such updates?

Also I have got a similar question regarding HBase. I understand that HBase has its own datamodel on top of/ within Hadoop. It could happen (e.g. between HBase major releases) that this datamodel is changed/ extended/ ...

Normally, when you change the >major< release, you need to upgrade HDFS (http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hdfs_user_guide.html#Upgrade+and+Rollback). This will happen when you switch major branches.

On Jun 14, 2013, at 12:10 PM, Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Björn,
>
>> has it ever happened that a migration of persistent data has been needed (or automatically executed) when updating a Hadoop installation within a release? If so, where could I find information regarding such needed migration?
>
> Normally, when you change the minor release, you need to upgrade HDFS (http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hdfs_user_guide.html#Upgrade+and+Rollback). This will happen when you switch major branches.
>
>> I would be interested because the runtime of such migration would probably depend on the amount of managed data and had to be planned.
> Depends how much data you've stored. Michael has written a excellent blog post about:
> http://www.michael-noll.com/blog/2011/08/23/performing-an-hdfs-upgrade-of-an-hadoop-cluster/
>
> Cheers,
> Alex
>
> --
> Alexander Alten-Lorenz
> http://mapredit.blogspot.com

Alexander Alten-Lorenz
http://mapredit.blogspot.com

RE: Migration needed when updating within an Hadoop release

Normally, when you change the >major< release, you need to upgrade HDFS (http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hdfs_user_guide.html#Upgrade+and+Rollback). This will happen when you switch major branches.

On Jun 14, 2013, at 12:10 PM, Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Björn,
>
>> has it ever happened that a migration of persistent data has been needed (or automatically executed) when updating a Hadoop installation within a release? If so, where could I find information regarding such needed migration?
>
> Normally, when you change the minor release, you need to upgrade HDFS (http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hdfs_user_guide.html#Upgrade+and+Rollback). This will happen when you switch major branches.
>
>> I would be interested because the runtime of such migration would probably depend on the amount of managed data and had to be planned.
> Depends how much data you've stored. Michael has written a excellent blog post about:
> http://www.michael-noll.com/blog/2011/08/23/performing-an-hdfs-upgrade-of-an-hadoop-cluster/
>
> Cheers,
> Alex
>
> --
> Alexander Alten-Lorenz
> http://mapredit.blogspot.com

Alexander Alten-Lorenz
http://mapredit.blogspot.com

RE: Migration needed when updating within an Hadoop release

Normally, when you change the >major< release, you need to upgrade HDFS (http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hdfs_user_guide.html#Upgrade+and+Rollback). This will happen when you switch major branches.

On Jun 14, 2013, at 12:10 PM, Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Björn,
>
>> has it ever happened that a migration of persistent data has been needed (or automatically executed) when updating a Hadoop installation within a release? If so, where could I find information regarding such needed migration?
>
> Normally, when you change the minor release, you need to upgrade HDFS (http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hdfs_user_guide.html#Upgrade+and+Rollback). This will happen when you switch major branches.
>
>> I would be interested because the runtime of such migration would probably depend on the amount of managed data and had to be planned.
> Depends how much data you've stored. Michael has written a excellent blog post about:
> http://www.michael-noll.com/blog/2011/08/23/performing-an-hdfs-upgrade-of-an-hadoop-cluster/
>
> Cheers,
> Alex
>
> --
> Alexander Alten-Lorenz
> http://mapredit.blogspot.com

Alexander Alten-Lorenz
http://mapredit.blogspot.com

RE: Migration needed when updating within an Hadoop release

Normally, when you change the >major< release, you need to upgrade HDFS (http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hdfs_user_guide.html#Upgrade+and+Rollback). This will happen when you switch major branches.

On Jun 14, 2013, at 12:10 PM, Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Björn,
>
>> has it ever happened that a migration of persistent data has been needed (or automatically executed) when updating a Hadoop installation within a release? If so, where could I find information regarding such needed migration?
>
> Normally, when you change the minor release, you need to upgrade HDFS (http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hdfs_user_guide.html#Upgrade+and+Rollback). This will happen when you switch major branches.
>
>> I would be interested because the runtime of such migration would probably depend on the amount of managed data and had to be planned.
> Depends how much data you've stored. Michael has written a excellent blog post about:
> http://www.michael-noll.com/blog/2011/08/23/performing-an-hdfs-upgrade-of-an-hadoop-cluster/
>
> Cheers,
> Alex
>
> --
> Alexander Alten-Lorenz
> http://mapredit.blogspot.com

Alexander Alten-Lorenz
http://mapredit.blogspot.com

Re: Migration needed when updating within an Hadoop release

Posted by Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com>.
Excuse the typo, should be :
Normally, when you change the >major< release, you need to upgrade HDFS (http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hdfs_user_guide.html#Upgrade+and+Rollback). This will happen when you switch major branches.

On Jun 14, 2013, at 12:10 PM, Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Björn,
>
>> has it ever happened that a migration of persistent data has been needed (or automatically executed) when updating a Hadoop installation within a release? If so, where could I find information regarding such needed migration?
>
> Normally, when you change the minor release, you need to upgrade HDFS (http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hdfs_user_guide.html#Upgrade+and+Rollback). This will happen when you switch major branches.
>
>> I would be interested because the runtime of such migration would probably depend on the amount of managed data and had to be planned.
> Depends how much data you've stored. Michael has written a excellent blog post about:
> http://www.michael-noll.com/blog/2011/08/23/performing-an-hdfs-upgrade-of-an-hadoop-cluster/
>
> Cheers,
> Alex
>
> --
> Alexander Alten-Lorenz
> http://mapredit.blogspot.com

Alexander Alten-Lorenz
http://mapredit.blogspot.com

Re: Migration needed when updating within an Hadoop release

Posted by Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com>.
Excuse the typo, should be :
Normally, when you change the >major< release, you need to upgrade HDFS (http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hdfs_user_guide.html#Upgrade+and+Rollback). This will happen when you switch major branches.

On Jun 14, 2013, at 12:10 PM, Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Björn,
>
>> has it ever happened that a migration of persistent data has been needed (or automatically executed) when updating a Hadoop installation within a release? If so, where could I find information regarding such needed migration?
>
> Normally, when you change the minor release, you need to upgrade HDFS (http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hdfs_user_guide.html#Upgrade+and+Rollback). This will happen when you switch major branches.
>
>> I would be interested because the runtime of such migration would probably depend on the amount of managed data and had to be planned.
> Depends how much data you've stored. Michael has written a excellent blog post about:
> http://www.michael-noll.com/blog/2011/08/23/performing-an-hdfs-upgrade-of-an-hadoop-cluster/
>
> Cheers,
> Alex
>
> --
> Alexander Alten-Lorenz
> http://mapredit.blogspot.com

Alexander Alten-Lorenz
http://mapredit.blogspot.com

Re: Migration needed when updating within an Hadoop release

Posted by Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com>.
Excuse the typo, should be :
Normally, when you change the >major< release, you need to upgrade HDFS (http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hdfs_user_guide.html#Upgrade+and+Rollback). This will happen when you switch major branches.

On Jun 14, 2013, at 12:10 PM, Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Björn,
>
>> has it ever happened that a migration of persistent data has been needed (or automatically executed) when updating a Hadoop installation within a release? If so, where could I find information regarding such needed migration?
>
> Normally, when you change the minor release, you need to upgrade HDFS (http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hdfs_user_guide.html#Upgrade+and+Rollback). This will happen when you switch major branches.
>
>> I would be interested because the runtime of such migration would probably depend on the amount of managed data and had to be planned.
> Depends how much data you've stored. Michael has written a excellent blog post about:
> http://www.michael-noll.com/blog/2011/08/23/performing-an-hdfs-upgrade-of-an-hadoop-cluster/
>
> Cheers,
> Alex
>
> --
> Alexander Alten-Lorenz
> http://mapredit.blogspot.com

Alexander Alten-Lorenz
http://mapredit.blogspot.com

Re: Migration needed when updating within an Hadoop release

Posted by Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com>.
Excuse the typo, should be :
Normally, when you change the >major< release, you need to upgrade HDFS (http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hdfs_user_guide.html#Upgrade+and+Rollback). This will happen when you switch major branches.

On Jun 14, 2013, at 12:10 PM, Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Björn,
>
>> has it ever happened that a migration of persistent data has been needed (or automatically executed) when updating a Hadoop installation within a release? If so, where could I find information regarding such needed migration?
>
> Normally, when you change the minor release, you need to upgrade HDFS (http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hdfs_user_guide.html#Upgrade+and+Rollback). This will happen when you switch major branches.
>
>> I would be interested because the runtime of such migration would probably depend on the amount of managed data and had to be planned.
> Depends how much data you've stored. Michael has written a excellent blog post about:
> http://www.michael-noll.com/blog/2011/08/23/performing-an-hdfs-upgrade-of-an-hadoop-cluster/
>
> Cheers,
> Alex
>
> --
> Alexander Alten-Lorenz
> http://mapredit.blogspot.com

Alexander Alten-Lorenz
http://mapredit.blogspot.com

Re: Migration needed when updating within an Hadoop release

Posted by Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Björn,

Posted by Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Björn,