Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by lee <da...@btinternet.com> on 2004/09/18 14:56:31 UTC

very basic IP address question

hello everyone,

With IP addresses, do the blocks of numbers have any specific meaning or
location-specific detail?

For eg, lots of spam I'm getting sent to one of my domain's addresses
with netsky attachments always shows 203.221 as the first two IP blocks
when I look at the received header. The actual apparent sender address
is always different but often <something>@hotmail.com

I don't know if such knowledge would then allow me to (safely) set a
filter or rule somewhere in my cpanel or spam assassin to just discard
any mail from that person(s).
Ideally, I would like to set a filter(s) in my cpanel 9 hosting to just
discard based on one or more rules, but the email filtering seems quite
inflexible and basic.

I do have avast! virus scanning on my pc which always picks up and warns
of the incoming nasty, but I'm trying to avoid such emails getting
through my domain in the first place, even if I was to manage
configuring spam assassin to flag them as SPAM.

Thanks a lot,
lee

scanned by lee's virus software. outbound message found to be clean.

Re: very basic IP address question

Posted by lee <da...@btinternet.com>.
Thanks,

I've now sent their abuse department the details, although I understand
that spammers can appear to be on a certain ISP even if they're not.

lee

--

 From lee - Have a PC, broadband connection and Yahoo ID? Want to hear
my FREE selection