Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Parimi Rohit <ro...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/20 01:34:14 UTC

Bi-Factorization vs Tri-Factorization for recommender systems

Hi All,

Are there any (dis)advantages of using tri-factorization (||X - USV'||) as
opposed to bi-factorization ((||X - UV'||)) for recommender systems? I have
been reading a lot about tri-factorization and how they can be seen as
co-clustering of rows and columns and was wondering if such as technique is
implemented in Mahout?

Also, I am particularly interested in implicit-feedback datasets and the
only MF approach I am aware of is the ALS-WR for implicit feedback data
implemented in mahout. Are there any other MF techniques? If not, is it
possible (and useful) to extend some tri-factorization to handle
implicit-feedback along the lines of "Collaborative Filtering for Implicit
Feedback Datasets" (the approach implemented in Mahout).

I apologize for any inconvenience as this question is very general and
might not be relevant to Mahout and I would really appreciate any
thoughts/feedback.

Thanks,
Rohit

Re: Bi-Factorization vs Tri-Factorization for recommender systems

Posted by Parimi Rohit <ro...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your reply Ted!!

To summarize, if I am interested in constraining (normalizing) both user
and item vectors, then tri-factorization is a better approach. But if I
want only one, either user or item features, then bi-factorization works.

Please correct me if I understood it incorrectly.

Also, is there any implementation in Mahout that allows me to tri-factorize
user-item preferences (implicit feedback)? If not, are there any other
alternatives?

Thanks,
Rohit

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.