Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Alexei V. Alexandrov" <av...@elcomsoft.com> on 2001/03/22 20:52:55 UTC

Apache process.

Hello everyone,

Actually  i  don`t  know  if  this is the right list, but i haven`t
found   a   better   to  ask this question. For each user i run a
copy  of  apache.  I  would like apache to be able to "register its
processes"  not  like  it  does,  but  in  the  following  way (for
example)

httpd: Child:keepalive (httpd)
httpd: Master:wait (httpd)
httpd: Child:ready (httpd)
httpd: Child:write (httpd)

So when i do ps -aux or use top i can actually see what each apache
process  does.  Where  in  the code should i look to be able to programm
apache to do so.

Thanks  for  any  advice and sorry again if this question is not to
the right list.

Best regards,
Alexei V. Alexandrov

Re: Apache process.

Posted by Greg Ames <gr...@remulak.net>.
"Alexei V. Alexandrov" wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Actually  i  don`t  know  if  this is the right list, but i haven`t
> found   a   better   to  ask this question. For each user i run a
> copy  of  apache.  I  would like apache to be able to "register its
> processes"  not  like  it  does,  but  in  the  following  way (for
> example)
>
> httpd: Child:keepalive (httpd)
> httpd: Master:wait (httpd)
> httpd: Child:ready (httpd)
> httpd: Child:write (httpd)
>
> So when i do ps -aux or use top i can actually see what each apache
> process  does.  Where  in  the code should i look to be able to programm
> apache to do so.

I use

ps ax -O wchan | grep httpd

wchan gives me a pretty good idea of what each process is doing.  If
there are processes which aren't blocked in a syscall that I'm
interested in, I use -O wchan, nwchan.

I also use mod_status a lot, which shows you more Apache specific
information.

Greg