Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com> on 2009/03/13 11:31:10 UTC

Is minor code cleanup desirable?

Hi,
currently I walk through the current trunk code related to scoring and
I find some parts in the code where some minor cleanup / optimization
can bring a tiny speed improvement. I do have to look at all this code
anyway so I wanna ask if it is desirable to add this minor
optimizations.
I found a couple of "getter" method calls inside loops which could be
assigned to final local variables or  local variables which could be
final.
I know this bring just a very very slight optimization but during the
score process every instruction could be useful.

If it is desirable I will prepare some diffs where it is appropriate
and add them to JIRA.

simon

Re: Is minor code cleanup desirable?

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
I haven't looked at that code in a while, but I bet it could use some comment/explanation love.  Consider doing that if you'll be going through that "corner" of the code base.

Otis

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Yes, please!  Bit by bit...