Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Kuppe <ku...@360t.com> on 2006/04/11 06:45:54 UTC

MessageListener stops receiving messages from queue

I am running a test which creates two Destinations, one Topic and one Queue,
two MessageListeners, one listenening on the Topic the other on the Queue,
and two MessageProducers, one producing to the Topic the other to the Queue.
Once all producers and listeners are connected to the destinations, i loop
through the two message producers for a number of iterations and verify that
the consumers receive the same number of messages that the producers send.

The problem that i have is the following, when i send more than 160
messages, the queue listener does not receive any more messages than 160 -
regardless of the number that are sent. When i use Jermes to look at the
queue, I see that the remaining messages still stored in the queue are also
only up to 160. For example, if I send 161 messages to the queue, i receive
160 and see that there remains 1 in the queue. If I send 1000 messages i
receive 160 and see that there remains 160 in the queue. At the same time, I
receive all messages that are sent to the topic by the topic
MessageListener.

I set the MessageProducers with the DeliveryMode.NON_PERSISTENT. The session
is created without transaction support and using AUTO_ACKNOWLEDGE mode.

I am running the BrokerService with the default configuration.

Thanks for your help!

m.

Re: MessageListener stops receiving messages from queue

Posted by Kuppe <ku...@360t.com>.
Hiram, thanks for the reply.

I am currently using activemq-4.0-M4.

It seems the link that you forwarded is exactly what i need in my
circumstances. I will configure the PendingMessageLimitStrategy and run my
tests again, although I think you are right, it does seem that the client
does stop sending acknowledgements back...

Will come back to you.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Odd, it almost seems like if the client was not acking back.  What
version of ActiveMQ are you using?

For more info on why the producer is not tottaly decoupled from the
consumer, and how to configure the server to behave differently, see:

http://activemq.com/Slow+Consumer+Handling

Regards,
Hiram

On 4/11/06, Kuppe <ku...@360t.com> wrote:

> Ok, i have done some further testing, and have the following results, this
> time on the topic...
>
> When i setup to send 100000 messages to the topic, i see that up to 32560
> the MessageListener receives exactly what is sent. Then for some reason the
> messages stop being received.. Then the producer sends another 2000 messages
> or so (up to 34614), then it stops. When i remove the MessageListener from
> the topic, all messages are sent successfully.
>
> The purpose of my testing is really to determine the performance and
> throughput of the BrokerService under different conditions as i am looking
> to implement a market data BrokerService for distributing about 6500
> rates/sec... Before implementing a more complicated solution, i am hoping to
> establish a good prototype demonstrating the abilities of ActiveMQ.
>
> Actually, perhaps you can explain how there might be any connection between
> a publisher and a subscriber on a topic, especially when i have set the
> delivery mode to NON_PERSISTENT. I would expect that a subscriber will
> essentially just pick up the latest message to have been sent by the
> producer and the producer would be completely decoupled from the consumer...
>
> Again, thanks for your support in advance.
>
> m.

Hiram

Re: MessageListener stops receiving messages from queue