Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Laith Al-Khateeb <lk...@yahoo.com> on 2003/06/03 15:31:25 UTC

James as a Wireless Email Gateway

Hi,
I've been asked to develop a kind of wireless email
gateway that would send SMS alerts to users when mail
arrives to their mailboxes.

Users will have accounts with different domains, and
thus the use of a central mailbox for each user is
necessary to enable them to receive alerts for all
mail on those domains.

With James's FetchPOP and Mailet extension API, it
would be relatively easy to accomplish this by
configuring FetchPOP fetch tasks that would pull mail
from remote mailboxes and use a Mailet that would form

the SMS alert message and send it to the user's
cellular phone (through some SMS delivery interface).

But my questions are:
1- Would FetchPOP be able to handle thousands of fetch

tasks to pull mail from the subscribers other mail
accounts?
2- How to add more FetchPOP tasks at runtime?

Thanks.
Laith

Re: James as a Wireless Email Gateway

Posted by Laith Al-Khateeb <lk...@yahoo.com>.
> are these multi-thousand pop accounts reside on a
>different, non-James, mail server?
Yes, it is not going to be a single server, and we
would not know what are these domains beforehand.

> is it possible to either excelusively use James as
> their mail server
No, it is not. The use of James would be as a central
mail repository.

> or instruct the users to set up a forwarding on
>their current server to the James server?
It is a service targeted to end users who have mail
accounts with different ISPs. and I'm not sure that
all ISPs enable users to set up server mail-forwards.

Thanks again,

Posted by Hontvari Jozsef <ho...@solware.com>.
I mean why do you use FetchPOP at all? Are these multi-thousand pop accounts
reside on a different, non-James, mail server? If yes, is it possible to
either excelusively use James as their mail server or instruct the users to
set up a forwarding on their current server to the James server?

You can still use FetchPOP for some user, but it seems to me that
1. using FetchPOP with many accounts
2. sending sms notifications from James
are two orthogonal problems.

Posted by Hontvari Jozsef <ho...@solware.com>.
Why don't you simply write a mailet, which sends the sms messages?

You may also need a matcher which tells if the user requested sms
notifications.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I've been asked to develop a kind of wireless email
> gateway that would send SMS alerts to users when mail
> arrives to their mailboxes.

> 1- Would FetchPOP be able to handle thousands of fetch
>    tasks to pull mail from the subscribers other mail
>    accounts?

I don't know if anyone has tried scaling it that big.

> 2- How to add more FetchPOP tasks at runtime?

I'd probably replace the fetch scheduler with something database driven.
And I might start with the newer FetchMail code in HEAD, which would need to
be backported to James v2, but either way, the primary change would be in
the scheduler.

	--- Noel