Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2016/07/15 19:11:20 UTC

How to patch the docs

I periodically give a presentation on documentation - how to make your
docs not suck, how to work with users to solve their problems, how to
make it easier for people to contribute to the docs.

I often give advice that we are not following in this docs project. Some
of these are historical (I strongly encourage people to avoid formats
like docbook that have a towering barrier to entry) but others are just
laziness and lack of time. For example, implementing the comment system
was something that I recommended, and Humbedooh implemented, but we're
not leveraging to its full potential just because there are *thousands*
of comments, and it takes time to get through them all.

Anyways, I recently tried to contribute a docs patch to another Apache
project, and ended up giving up in frustration, because I couldn't
figure out how to do it, and didn't want to have to join a bunch of
mailing lists just to fix a typo. In the process, I started wondering
how hard it is to submit a patch to the httpd docs. If, say, I found a
typo, what do I do?

(Contrariwise, I was able to submit a patch to the Mesos docs with very
little work, because they not only made it obvious where to do it, but
were also polite and helpful when I did it wrong the first time.)

Something that I recommend in my presentation is simple - tell me in the
doc how to edit/patch the doc. For example, on my work website -
http://rdoproject.org/ - you'll see an "edit on github" banner on every
page. Simple and easy.

For our docs, I'd like to have something on each page of the docs that
indicates how one might patch the docs. This could simply be a link to
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/ or it could be a link to the
ticketing system. Patching our docs is, unfortunately, rather more
complicated than just a link to Github, but any barrier that we can
remove would be good.

Any objections to my making a change to that effect to the docs build
template?

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: How to patch the docs

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 07/18/2016 06:08 AM, Mads Toftum wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 03:11:20PM -0400, Rich Bowen wrote:
>> I periodically give a presentation on documentation - how to make your
>> docs not suck, how to work with users to solve their problems, how to
>> make it easier for people to contribute to the docs.
>>
> Is this something that can be found online?

The latest version is at
https://github.com/rbowen/presentations/tree/master/betterfm (source)
and http://boxofclue.com/presentations/betterfm/#/ (rendered) and I'll
be giving a new version at LinuxCon next month in Toronoto. I'm in the
process of rewriting based on lots of feedback the last time.

Re: How to patch the docs

Posted by Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk>.
> [...]

> http://rdoproject.org/ - you'll see an "edit on github" banner on every
> page. Simple and easy.

A page source link pointing to the relevant file in svn? I suppose you
could do that.

> For our docs, I'd like to have something on each page of the docs that
> indicates how one might patch the docs. This could simply be a link to
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/ or it could be a link to the
> ticketing system. Patching our docs is, unfortunately, rather more
> complicated than just a link to Github, but any barrier that we can
> remove would be good.

Given the commenting system, I don't know how badly we need to add more
links. If anything, I'd much rather have it go to
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/ than to bugzilla.

> Any objections to my making a change to that effect to the docs build

See above :)

vh

Mads Toftum
--
http://flickr.com/photos/q42/

Re: How to patch the docs

Posted by Astrid Malo <ke...@apache.org>.
Am Mon, 18 Jul 2016 09:18:32 +0200
schrieb Lucien Gentis <lu...@univ-lorraine.fr>:

> Hello docs people,
>
> Some remarks :
>
> "Comments" link on each page doesn't indicate clearly enough that its
> purpose is adding comments about the doc itself, instead of being a
> Q&A. I think that's the reason why there are thousands of comments.
> How about replacing it by something like "Report an error, improve
> the doc" ?

+1

> Patching the doc : the reader can either add a comment to tell
> there's a typo or another problem with the doc, or add a bug report
> via Bugzilla. What is the best way, knowing that in the latter case,
> the reader has to create an account if he/she doesn't already have
> one, and seeing that, he'll probably go away ?

This might be true fora lot of people. At least for myself. I won't
create an account for minor issues.

 kess

Re: How to patch the docs

Posted by Lucien Gentis <lu...@univ-lorraine.fr>.
Hello docs people,

[...]

Le 16/07/2016 � 07:56, Luis Gil de Bernab� a �crit :

--
Lucien GENTIS
UNIVERSITE DE LORRAINE - ESPE

T�l. 03 72 74 13 28