Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com> on 2005/10/06 16:54:58 UTC

Farewell to Nicolas Chalumeau

Dear friends,

This is a sad moment. Our friend and colleague Nicolas Chalumeau has passed
away on the 4th of October 2005. He was 27 years old.

I'm still shocked by the news. I've prepared an eulogy on
http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/participating/nicolas.html. It'll be there
in about 4 hours (the time it takes for people.apache.org to sync to
Jakarta.apache.org):

"
Our friend Nicolas Chalumeau has departed this world on the 4th of October
at the age of 27.

The Apache Software Foundation would like to express its condolences to
Nicolas' family and friends.

Nicolas had been developing open source software at Apache for several
years. He was participating in several projects including Jakarta Cactus and
Apache Maven. But even more importantly than helping those projects, what
made Nicolas stand apart was his kindness and his generosity. He was always
open to discussion and was constantly helping others. On the Cactus project
he was regularly the first to answer questions from newcomers trying to use
Cactus.

Recently he had taken up the important task of helping migrate Cactus to use
Cargo and he had been working diligently towards that task. Actually Nicolas
had been doing such a great job on the Cactus project that the Cactus
committers had unanimously voted him in to become a committer. Nicolas was
voted an Apache committer on the 1st of August 2005. I had several
discussions with Nicolas about this new role and he was extremely happy to
be part of the Apache Foundation.

Nicolas, we'll miss you, but the work you have done for the community will
be remembered forever and will live on. All our thoughts and good wishes are
with you and your loved ones.

-Vincent on behalf of the Apache community
"

I've copied this text to my blog too so that people who want to leave a
message can do so there: http://tinyurl.com/8v52w

-Vincent