Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/06 09:22:33 UTC

Re: [axis2] RE: [ANN] Apache Axis2 1.4 Released

>  Hi,
>
>  Now that 1.4 is released, I still see so many issues logged on JIRA that
>  have not even been close to resolved.

I think we all have to agree we can not do a release  with zero  jiras.
When we do a release what we do is we go though the JIRA list and see
what are the issues we need to fix for the release and fix them. I know
some of the issues might be very critical for you but not for others.
However we as developer have to do a general judgment and choose what we
want to fix for a give release.

I logged a blocker in early April
>  which hasn't even seen the light of day by anybody.  Surely, blockers,
>  criticals and majors should get immidiate attension?
Yes I agree.

>  I still have so many problems in getting Axis2 to work as it should.  I
>  have been very relunctant to log any issues because I feel that they
>  don't get dealt with in a speedly manner.

Please forgive me for that and one  thing we have to understand is we
are doing open source development. No one pays for the developers so
most of the developers are doing voluntary works. So once they have free
time they will fix your issues. (If there are any JIRA issues against me
I will do that )

I've browsed through some of
>  the issues which were logged a good few months or even under a year ago
>  and still they are not resolved.
>
>  Unfortunately, Axis2 is the best that I could find out there, but I just
>  don't see the level of support I would expect from a project of such
>  high magnitude.

It is yes and no answer. When I talked to Axis2 users one of the
positive feedback I got is the level of support we have.  I know it is
good if we can improve that some more , but I can not agree that user
does not get support from the mailing list. One of the thing I do every
day is going though the mailing list and answer them as much as I can.
Sometime I spend more than 2-3 hrs for that.

Not to market any companies, but I know few companies doing professional
support for Axis2 , so if you want to get the answer quickly that would
be a very good option. :)

>  When deploying a POJO I can't even get Axis2 to auto generate a 100%
>  compliant WSDL to the POJO.
In which level , I know we generate valid WSDL. But for some edge cases
we have issues which I am planing to fix soon.

These are just the basics, I don't even
>  want to know how people are struggling with the advanced features.

:)

>  So I ask, can anybody please enlighten me on how to get issues resolved
>  in a speedly manner or any support on my existing issues?  This mailing
>  list doesn't seem to be the solution.
>
>  Thanks very much
>  >From a frustrated developer,

May be you can help us to fix those issues , we as developers more than
welcome to see your contribution. If you know how to fix an issue ,
please fix that and attach a patch to the jira. Then we will definitely
review that and apply.

Thank you!
Deepal

Re: [axis2] RE: [ANN] Apache Axis2 1.4 Released

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: [axis2] RE: [ANN] Apache Axis2 1.4 Released

Posted by learn_n_share <am...@gmail.com>.

hmmm... the server is either overloaded with thousands of download requests
or down due to some other reson that is why I m unable to download the
latest release...

RE: [axis2] RE: [ANN] Apache Axis2 1.4 Released

Posted by "Vinh Nguyen (vinguye2)" <vi...@cisco.com>.
Hi,
My apologies to all.  With the high volume of Axis2 emails everyday, I
guess I didn't read each one carefully.  I'll be more careful the next
time I reply to one:)
-Vinh

________________________________

Posted by keith chapman <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.
> Hi,
>
> What's very interesting to me is that I haven't seen any emails from the
> Axis2 team notifying developers that 1.4 will be released, or even vote
> for it to be released.
Well I am not sure about the user list , but there was a discussion on
Axis2 dev lits. First one was initiated by me and second one by Dims. I
am sure that when I send the mail I CCed that to user list as well.
>  This would have given developers/contributors a
> chance to review the state of the latest build, check if there are any
> critical bugs still outstanding, and then vote if everyone is fine with
> the release.
>
> I think this should be the normal process for open source projects (as
> it already is for a few other Apache projects).
>
> I also didn't see emails to the user group about an exact date planned
> for the 1.4 release.
Well with the new release process we can not tell an exact data , what
we can tell is around this time we can do a release.
> This would be nice so that the community can plan
> ahead in case people are waiting for certain bug fixes, and can find
> workarounds in case they know that 1.4 won't address their bug.
>
> Overall, more communication about planned releases would be nice:)
> Other than that, keep up the good work!

I would really appreciate your  comments and forgive us if we have
missed something. As well as I will make sure that will not happen in
the future (if it has happen this time)

-Deepal

Re: [axis2] RE: [ANN] Apache Axis2 1.4 Released

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Vinh,

Are u serious?
http://tinyurl.com/5j5n3p