Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/03 02:27:38 UTC

Re: [CONF] Apache CXF > Commercial CXF Offerings

Do we need to have these dueling claims for who employs how many
committers / PMC members? Could we persuade both Talend and FUSE to
just say 'committers, get your red hot committers!'

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
If FUSE would change 'most' to 'many', and Talend would at least trade
in 'leading' on the same thing ...

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
ORLY?  For the record:

http://www.brewdog.com/sink_the_bismark

41% baby!!!

Jeff

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
Well said, Dan.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: [CONF] Apache CXF > Commercial CXF Offerings

Posted by Eric Johnson <em...@fusesource.com>.
+1 Dan thanks for doing this.

--
Principle Technical Writer
Phone (781) 280-4174

Re: [CONF] Apache CXF > Commercial CXF Offerings

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
In my opinion, the first amendment is relatively relevant to the
mailing list. A polite, infrequent, announcement of a commercial
offering of potential interest to the users is just find by me,
personally, and I know of no ASF policy to the contrary. It is of
course going to be a matter of gray to decide if someone pushes the
limits of 'polite' and 'infrequent'.

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Sounds good for me.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
There, even non committers get it. Spot on. Thanks Craig for speaking up!

Hadrian

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
+1 and well said.

Jeff

Posted by Craig Tataryn <cr...@tataryn.net>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 18:18, Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Looks like more clarification is in order. I am not a CXF committer.
> My role in the Apache Camel project has no relevance here. Here I
> speak as an Apache member. One of the duties of Apache members is
> to provide oversight to other projects which, experience taught us,
> is a useful and necessary thing.
>
> The fact that you have the right to express your opinion and position
> is undeniable. Hey, as a cxf-pmc member you also get a binding vote
> in the project. You are also expected to be familiar with the
> 'apache way' and policies.
>
> What I believe Dan clarified in a previous mail (I hoped) is that
> there are some aspects on which your statement that "the community has
> not decided on its position and that is the only position that ultimately matters"
> is misguided. Things related to branding, trademarks and how they
> are used are not up to the PMC and these topics are even more sensitive
> lately for reasons Dan alluded to.
>
> So what you're saying about policing is that: "it is one of the
> responsibilities of being a committer". I totally agree with that,
> yet in this particular instance Dan is the one fulfilling the
> committer responsibility of reverting your change. Using your
> reasoning, on would have expected you to fix a change of a
> contributor who's expected to know less about the 'apache way'
> then you, not to create the problem in the first place.
>
> It's not about consensus, it's about knowing what's right and wrong.
> Non committers on the list showed that it's not hard to make the
> distinction. Now, I know you personally, I've worked with you for
> a number of years, I respect your talents, I know you're a smart and
> honest guy. That's what makes this quite sad. I find it hard to
> believe that your actions were not influenced by external factors.
> I hope I am wrong.
>
> If you look at the history of this event, what happened is that you
> made changes to the site (not only CXF). On the Camel site I decided
> to write you in private and settle it that way. Dan on the other hand
> decided to just update the page. Moments later Benson saw the change
> and tactfully requested this to stop and then others pitched in.
> There is no need to play games and hide behind lack of community
> consensus, or let's write yet another policy. The guidelines are clear.
> When in doubt ask your PMC chair.

Can we just keep things to straight facts ? Looking at the recent
commit logs, I can't see Eric having done any modification to the web
site on that area.
The only thing I see is Dan moved a part of the "Support" web page to
the "Commercial CXF offerings" one.   AFAIK, Eric is not involved in
that.

> [...]
>
> Cheers,
> Hadrian
>

> On Feb 3, 2011, at 11:34 AM, Eric Johnson wrote:
>
>> Hadrian,
>> We discussed a specific instance in private. I was happy to accept
>> your guidelines given your position as PMC Chair of Apache Camel and
>> will abide by them. As the existence of this thread evidences, the
>> boundaries of what is acceptable for companies to place on a project
>> site is not clear for the CXF community and they are seeking to form a
>> clear position. This is particularly important now that multiple
>> companies with marketing departments are offering commercial products
>> based on CXF.
>> While you may disagree with my position about the appropriateness of
>> the content allowed to be placed on Apache projects from commercial
>> entities, my position is still a valid one that deserves to be aired.
>> I understand your position and think it is also a valid position.
>> However, the community has not decided on its position and that is the
>> only position that ultimately matters.
>> As for having to police the wiki, it is not the reason for becoming a
>> commiter. However, it is one of the responsibilities of being a
>> commiter. If there was an agreed upon consensus for what is
>> appropriate then self-policing is possible. However, without that
>> consensus everyone is right.
>> Eric
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Eric, I am still trying to decide if you are serious or just fooling around.
>>> I thought we clarified this in private. Public is fine too. Comments inline.
>>>
>>> If I come across as upset, I am!
>>>
>>> Hadrian

>>> Good so far.

>>> Wrong. On your company site you can write what you want, on the ASF site, not so. Regardless of how you mark it.

>>> But it is a big deal. Write whatever you want on the fusesource site and link back to the apache project if you want to.
>>> Adding a link back from the apache site to your site and mention that you offer support or whatever other service, that's fine.
>>> You have the "Commercial CXF Offerings" page for that. Ads, marketing statements are not fine.
>>> You can also add links back to your blog, fine too.
>>>
>>> I agree that it doesn't make company offering any better or any worse, but that has nothing to do with the apache project, make your statements on your site, but not on the apache site just because it has more traffic, or whatever the reason.
>>> There are companies who offer free licenses to commercial products for apache committers and what they appreciate in return (don't make it a condition) is a link back on a Thanks page. Just because one is entrusted to edit the wiki doesn't mean one can abuse.
>>>
>>> Policing statements? Is that the reason you wanted to become a proud apache committer, to police the wiki?
>>> We expect self policing. When things are not clear, we clarify them.

Guillaume Nodet
------------------------
Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
------------------------
Open Source SOA
http://fusesource.com

Re: [CONF] Apache CXF > Commercial CXF Offerings

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Johnson <em...@fusesource.com>.
Hadrian,

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Johnson <em...@fusesource.com>.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
Lets make something clear here so we can delineate the difference between the contributions folks make.  If someone is truly inactive and not making contributions of value, then we can request emeritus.  I think our fearless leader Dan has done an outstanding job of keeping on that issue.  Contributions come from code, help, and project oversight.  To make a distinction between which one has more value is in the eye of the beholder and should not be argued.  We can argue the the merits of my oversight and the quality of your code contributions all day long... but throwing stones at glass houses will not do you any good since nasty skeletons can be pulled from that vault.  Lets not go there.

As for contributions from a commercial side... some folks do it via committing code, and some do it from getting in the trenches with clients and making our stacks work in the wild.  I have seen first hand top-notch consultants who have more knowledge about how things work with our stacks in the real world than many "active" committers do alone.  So you tell me who is "the best"?

Our sites are for leveling the field for contributors, no matter where they may fall.  Link to your company sites all you want and hawk your wares.  But I would keep it honest and open or you will grab the ire of this PMC, pr@/trademark@ and the board.  How "truthy" you make it will bring you the attention you need.

Jeff

Posted by Glen Mazza <gm...@talend.com>.

Posted by Johan Edstrom <jo...@acj-consulting.com>.
Well, you can't get pizza that is decent in the US anyways, :P

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Glen Mazza <gm...@talend.com>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--