Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org> on 2005/03/29 16:10:44 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Next milestone release (M4?)

(From a tangential discussion on pmc@, this came up and Alan noted this
would be better discussed here, so I'm just moving it here....)

It's been 5 months since the M3 milestone release, and a *tremendous*
work has gone into the project since then.

We think we're functionally complete (or very close), so is now a good
time to do a milestone?  I'm willing to help with the mechanics to keep
Dain and David (and others) cranking on certification work...

Comments?

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] Next milestone release (M4?)

Posted by Mark <de...@hotmail.com>.
+1

I support this as long as it doesn't require a lot of resources.

Mark

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@savoirtech.com>.
+1...alot of people have commented on this, so this would be good.

Re: Split Interop Module ...

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <ds...@gluecode.com>.
On Mar 29, 2005, at 7:36 AM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> Mark wrote:
>> I am considering the idea of splitting up the interop module into two
>> different pieces: interop and interop-corba.    Moving forward, the
>> interop module will need to make some calls into OpenEJB and
>> OpenEJB/interop will both require generated corba related classes.
>> The OpenEJB dependency could be change to interop-corba and the
>> interop module could depend on both interop-corba and OpenEJB.
>> I anticipate this to be a minor change with no interrpution on other
>> developers.
>> Any thoughts?
>
> Just that we need to ensure that Geronimo does not depend on OpenEJB -
> where we are calling in it should be through interfaces that Geronimo
> defines and OpenEJB implements.

Mark, please create a new fresh email when sending something to the
list.  When you respond to an existing email and clean out the body and
subject, the mail headers that link this new email to the previous
thread are still intact, so many mail clients will automatically mix
the new thread emails into the original thread.

Anyway, is this the Adapter code for OpenEJB?  If so, this code is very
OpenEJB specific and should be moved into the OpenEJB project instead
of being part of Geronimo.  Then we don't have circular dependency
problems.

-dain

Re: Split Interop Module ...

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

--
Jeremy

Split Interop Module ...

Re: [PROPOSAL] Next milestone release (M4?)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
Thoughts on naming :

How about stopping with the M* convention, and do something like
"Geronimo 0.8".  It reflects our nearness to a released version, it is
not a 1.0 so no one should have expectations of 1.0 functionality, and
we can rapidly get to 1.0 in the next month or -ish.

geir

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <ds...@gluecode.com>.
On Mar 31, 2005, at 10:31 AM, David Blevins wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 10:12:42AM -0500, toby cabot wrote:
>> Jeremy,
>>
>> I agree with the first few bullets.
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 07:40:13AM -0800, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
>>> * verification that the src bundle actually builds and results in the
>>>   same binary as we are distibuting
>>
>> Is a src bundle is useful to anyone at this stage of the game?  For
>> "real" releases, sure, but for now it might make more sense to release
>> binaries only and point people at the source code control system if
>> they want to build.  The problem with people building from the source
>> bundle is that if they try to do anything interesting (like make
>> changes to the code) then they're in trouble since they won't have a
>> mechanism to stay in sync or submit patches that apply cleanly. I
>> think that we've got good enough instructions on the wiki so building
>> from svn isn't much more complicated than building from a tarball.
>
> It'd be nice to have a pure source jar (no build files or anything
> else) that people could hookup to their IDE.  Something like the
> src.jar in JAVA_HOME.

+1

-dain

Re: [PROPOSAL] Next milestone release (M4?)

Posted by si...@insession.com.
David Blevins <da...@visi.com> wrote on 01/04/2005 04:31:33 AM:

> On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 10:12:42AM -0500, toby cabot wrote:
> > Jeremy,
> >
> > I agree with the first few bullets.
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 07:40:13AM -0800, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
> > > * verification that the src bundle actually builds and results in
the
> > >   same binary as we are distibuting
> >
> > Is a src bundle is useful to anyone at this stage of the game?  For
> > "real" releases, sure, but for now it might make more sense to release
> > binaries only and point people at the source code control system if
> > they want to build.  The problem with people building from the source
> > bundle is that if they try to do anything interesting (like make
> > changes to the code) then they're in trouble since they won't have a
> > mechanism to stay in sync or submit patches that apply cleanly. I
> > think that we've got good enough instructions on the wiki so building
> > from svn isn't much more complicated than building from a tarball.
>
> It'd be nice to have a pure source jar (no build files or anything
> else) that people could hookup to their IDE.  Something like the
> src.jar in JAVA_HOME.
>
> -David

That would be nice so that any IDE/tool that operates on a source archive
can be used (not just some IDEs (e.g. eclipse) that have smarts to find
source files in subdirectories of an archive).

John

Re: [PROPOSAL] Next milestone release (M4?)

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <dj...@gluecode.com>.
On Mar 31, 2005, at 4:16 PM, sissonj@insession.com wrote:

> toby cabot <to...@caboteria.org> wrote on 01/04/2005 01:12:42 AM:
>
>> Jeremy,
>>
>> I agree with the first few bullets.
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 07:40:13AM -0800, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
>>> * verification that the src bundle actually builds and results in the
>>>   same binary as we are distibuting
>>
>> Is a src bundle is useful to anyone at this stage of the game?  For
>> "real" releases, sure, but for now it might make more sense to release
>> binaries only and point people at the source code control system if
>> they want to build.  The problem with people building from the source
>> bundle is that if they try to do anything interesting (like make
>> changes to the code) then they're in trouble since they won't have a
>> mechanism to stay in sync or submit patches that apply cleanly. I
>> think that we've got good enough instructions on the wiki so building
>> from svn isn't much more complicated than building from a tarball.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Toby
>
> Is there a reason why we don't include the svn files in the source
> tarball
> (we didn't in M3).  Wouldn't that make it easier for people to make
> patches or see a comparison to HEAD to see if a problem they have
> encountered has been fixed?

I like the idea, although it would double the size of the jar since
.svn includes pristine copies of each file.  Maybe we could remove the
normal working copies and ask people to do svn revert --recursive after
unpacking.

david jencks

Posted by toby cabot <to...@caboteria.org>.
Jeremy,

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <ds...@gluecode.com>.
On Mar 29, 2005, at 8:30 AM, Bruce Snyder wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 07:40:13 -0800, Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>> -1
>>
>> Whilst I agree with the intention, we do not have a process defined
>> that
>>   would allow us to generate a reproducable release. This led to
>> several
>> of the issues with the last M3 release that ultimately made is
>> unusable.
>>   We must fix this before we can release another version.
>>
>> Specific things I think we need include in such a process:
>> * an mechanical process for producing the candidate binaries that can
>> be
>>    executed against any SVN tag. This would reduce the potential for
>>    minor variations by people doing the release that would result in
>>    potentially different binaries
>>
>> * elimination of SNAPSHOT dependencies - these are by nature ephemeral
>>    making it impossible to later regenerate the same distribution
>>
>> * a testing/review period that is at least comprehensive enough to
>> catch
>>    the blaring defects that plagued M3
>>
>> * verification that the src bundle actually builds and results in the
>>    same binary as we are distibuting
>
> +100 on creating a reproduceable, mechanical process for these tasks.
> I was told by someone that much of this already exists in the form of
> shell/perl scripts somewhere. Is this true or not? I think that
> spending time on this task takes a fairly high priority, no matter
> whether we decide to produce a release at this time or not. That said,
> any idea how long it might take to accomplish this set of tasks? In
> working toward this goal, the first thing I'd like to see is a
> comprehensive list of tasks necessary to complete this work as well as
> a list of artifacts that must be produced. Jeremy's list above is a
> very good start, let's build upon it.

This is a lot harder then it looks.  All of these items and sever
others (such as tagging cvs/svn) were on the list last time  David and
I worked on the last release.  Also you need to coordinate with OpenEJB
to get a tagged set of binaries released.

I guess practice makes perfect.  I suggest you make a dry run branch of
the server and work out the steps (script) required for a release.
Once you get a reproducible process worked out, take a current branch
and cut a release.

-dain

Re: [PROPOSAL] Next milestone release (M4?)

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 07:40:13 -0800, Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org> wrote:
> -1
>
> Whilst I agree with the intention, we do not have a process defined that
>   would allow us to generate a reproducable release. This led to several
> of the issues with the last M3 release that ultimately made is unusable.
>   We must fix this before we can release another version.
>
> Specific things I think we need include in such a process:
> * an mechanical process for producing the candidate binaries that can be
>    executed against any SVN tag. This would reduce the potential for
>    minor variations by people doing the release that would result in
>    potentially different binaries
>
> * elimination of SNAPSHOT dependencies - these are by nature ephemeral
>    making it impossible to later regenerate the same distribution
>
> * a testing/review period that is at least comprehensive enough to catch
>    the blaring defects that plagued M3
>
> * verification that the src bundle actually builds and results in the
>    same binary as we are distibuting

+100 on creating a reproduceable, mechanical process for these tasks.
I was told by someone that much of this already exists in the form of
shell/perl scripts somewhere. Is this true or not? I think that
spending time on this task takes a fairly high priority, no matter
whether we decide to produce a release at this time or not. That said,
any idea how long it might take to accomplish this set of tasks? In
working toward this goal, the first thing I'd like to see is a
comprehensive list of tasks necessary to complete this work as well as
a list of artifacts that must be produced. Jeremy's list above is a
very good start, let's build upon it.

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo
http://geronimo.apache.org/

Re: [PROPOSAL] Next milestone release (M4?)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Mar 29, 2005, at 1:16 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 12:39:17PM -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>>> Well, hopefully that will change.  I would be very much opposed to
>>> including OpenEJB into Geronimo.
>>>

>> Can I ask why?  I'm just curious since we seem so interdependent on
>> one
>> another.  I'm not a part of OpenEJB, so I don't know who else is using
>> it, what part of the committer base is independent of Geronimo, stuff
>> like that.
>
> Just making a note here as well.  Those people can be contacted at
> user@openejb.org.  Only fair we include them in this kind of talk.

David,

I'm not trying to start anything here, and I would expect that it be a
OpenEJB community decision anyway.  I am just curious why Alan was very
much opposed.  What is your opinion?

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <ad...@toolazydogs.com>.

Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Mar 29, 2005, at 11:33 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>

>> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>>> We'll ignore this as it isn't a vote :)

>>> Yes

>>> Yes

>>> yes

>>> Yes
>>>
>>> All of these were the standard way for other projects I've been
>>> involved with.  No argument.
>>>
>>> But can we, with this in mind, first discuss going forward w/ a
>>> release?  We're going to have to bang out a real release process for
>>> 1.0, and this is a good opportunity to get started.  I volunteer to
>>> help.
>>

>> Is now a good time to talk about how Geornimo needs its own remote
>> maven repo?
>

> Heh.  I was just thinking about that, and also about the subject of
> OpenEJB - would there be good benefit into bringing it to Geronimo?
> We seem to be so interdependent...

Well, hopefully that will change.  I would be very much opposed to
including OpenEJB into Geronimo.

Regards,
Alan

Re: [PROPOSAL] Next milestone release (M4?)

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 10:29:14AM -0800, David Jencks wrote:
> On Mar 29, 2005, at 10:09 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>
> >2. This is a tall order, IMHO.  I think that this is a goal that
> >should be vigorously sought but I don't think that it should stop a
> >milestone release.  Maybe a v1.0 release, I'll grant you that.
>
> I agree. I'd like to eliminate privately patched jars but try to
> minimize snapshots.

+1

Can't think of how exactly, but +1 none the less.

David

Re: [PROPOSAL] Next milestone release (M4?)

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 13:59:23 -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr
<ge...@4quarters.com> wrote:

> On Mar 29, 2005, at 1:43 PM, Bruce Snyder wrote:
>

> > It seems like we're starting to get a good pile of issues identified
> > here that need to happen before work goes into creating a
> > reproduceable release process, not to mention the requirements of the
> > release process. I think we should begin by creating JIRA issues to
> > identify all of this work, but I'm not sure whether to classify these
> > circular dependencies as bugs, improvements or tasks. Anyone have an
> > opinion?
> >

> I think they are improvements or tasks :)
>
> But I was also thinking of getting a thread started here on the dev
> list summarizing what we need to do and get going.  We're going to need
> this soon, and as long as it's not disruptive to the certification
> effort, we can do in parallel.

I concur, which is why I am trying to identify these items/issues and
record them using JIRA.

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo
http://geronimo.apache.org/

Re: [PROPOSAL] Next milestone release (M4?)

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@4quarters.com>.

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <dj...@apache.org>.
As usual, I'm afraid I was less clear than mud.
On Mar 29, 2005, at 10:09 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> 1. Agreed.  This should be a non-issue shortly.

I'm not referring to the current "maven detects circular dependencies
in uber-build" problem but rather the problem that the uberbuild is the
only way to build geronimo + openejb starting from a repo with no
geronimo and openejb artifacts.  Openejb depends on various geronimo
modules whereas assembly depends on openejb.  We need a way to build
something like specs/tranql/(g. modules - assembly)/openejb/assembly.

> 2. This is a tall order, IMHO.  I think that this is a goal that
> should be vigorously sought but I don't think that it should stop a
> milestone release.  Maybe a v1.0 release, I'll grant you that.

I agree. I'd like to eliminate privately patched jars but try to
minimize snapshots.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <ad...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <dj...@gluecode.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 12:12:25PM -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Mar 29, 2005, at 11:33 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> >
> >Is now a good time to talk about how Geornimo needs its own remote
> >maven repo?
>
> Heh.  I was just thinking about that, and also about the subject of
> OpenEJB - would there be good benefit into bringing it to Geronimo?  We
> seem to be so interdependent...

If you want to have that conversation, we should do it on the OpenEJB users list where all the OpenEJB committers and users can give their feedback.

  user-subscribe@openejb.org

-David

Re: [PROPOSAL] Next milestone release (M4?)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <ad...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.