Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> on 2001/07/16 04:34:07 UTC

Re: Are there problems with Struts w/o an internet connection?

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Bill Clinton wrote:

> Hello,
>      I am still wondering on this one....  In a future release, would it
> be possible to include all necessary DTD files with the struts release?
>   I don't like the idea of a methodology that requires both the Apache
> and Sun sites to be up in order for my app server to start.  Is this
> working as designed?  If so, could this dependency be mentioned more
> prominently in the README or documentation?

The only DTDs that Struts 1.0 requires in order to run are:
  struts-config_1_0.dtd
  web-app_2_2.dtd (for servlet 2.2 apps)
  web-app_2_3.dtd (for servlet 2.3 apps)

If you look inside struts.jar, you will find that all of them *are*
included -- and Struts includes programming to look here for them instead
of trying to go out across the network.

The problem is that some servlet containers have broken classloader
implementations that do not correctly support loading resource files from
a JAR.  Try a Struts-based app under Tomcat, and you will find that it
runs quite happily on a completely disconnected computer.

Craig