Posted to dev@zipkin.apache.org by Brian Devins-Suresh <ba...@gmail.com> on 2019/04/01 16:06:27 UTC

Re: revisiting if SaaS backends should be Apache repositories

Adrian reminded me that this thread existed.

I'll offer my 2 cents here, I think that the storage/reporter
implementations
that send to the vendor backends do not belong in the same repos as the
Zipkin and Zipkin library extensions that enable Zipkin use within cloud
environments. The distinction between this being that, the components
that are usable within the Zipkin ecosystem, no matter the backend, and
those that provide system interop with other ecosystems. IE: we treat
StackDriver and XRay the same way we would NewRelic or Datadog
or Haystack exporters if they existed.

With the current status of these repos, that would mean zipkin-gcp does
not get moved to the ASF, and zipkin-aws would have the XRay
components extracted out of it to a new repo, perhaps: zipkin-xray, and
then it would be in a good place to be moved.

- Brian