Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Gareth Reakes <ga...@we7.com> on 2013/02/01 13:20:00 UTC

Re: Xerces Performance Acceleration Project: icXML

Hey Rob,

>> We are interested in feedback and interest from developers and
>> potential users.   We are also interested in identifying a potential
>> Champion who could help put us on track to become an official
>> Xerces subproject.
>
> If you're actively looking for a champion you may want to post to the
> general@incubator.apache.org list to get the attention of a larger
> audience of ASF members who might be interested in that role.

I would be happy to help out here although posting to that list still makes sense. The key thing we need to do is work on creating a community that will support the ongoing development and maintenance. There are not many people that contribute to Xerces these days and any reticence you may sense is because we would want to make sure that there was enough interest to support over the medium/long term. Its not going to be code we know about or can support easily so the worst thing for us would be to accept the (very generous) code gift but then be unable to support the users that come with it.

On a technical level I think what you have done is really cool and useful.

I would be happy to chat more about this if you want.

Gareth

--
Gareth Reakes, CTO         we7 - Great Free Music
+44-20-7117-0809                   http://www.we7.com

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - Hunter S. Thompson

Re: Xerces Performance Acceleration Project: icXML

Posted by Rob Cameron <ro...@international-characters.com>.
That's great, Gareth.   I do think these lists are the right starting
point, and that creating a community of developers/users is key.    I think
I won't approach the general@incubator.apache.org list immediately because
it just seems premature.    (But thanks anyway, Michael, it seems like a
good route if we aren't able to find a champion through the process of
community building.)

We'll certainly be continuing the work within both ICI and the research
lab at SFU.   Incidentally, for someone with the interest,  doing open-source
project work could be combined with graduate studies ...

Posted by Rob Cameron <ro...@international-characters.com>.