Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Daniel Sahlberg <da...@gmail.com> on 2022/07/07 14:22:23 UTC

build-svn-deps-win.pl

Hi,

I'm looking at build-svn-deps-win.pl (in tools/dev) and I have a number of
problems which I'm hoping to address in the near future:

- The download URL for AWK now return 404. I'm suggesting to replace it
with http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/downlinks/gawk-bin-zip.php (this will
require a bit of adjustments in the script since the download is now a ZIP
file, but I believe I have this running). Does anyone have a better idea
where to get a compiled AWK for Windows?

- I'm using Visual Studio 2022 which doesn't seem to contain the
vcupgrade.exe program. The following seems to work, but I'm not a Perl
expert. Can someone advice if I'm doing anything particularly stupid?

  # using the vcupgrade command here because it has a consistent name and
version
  # numbering across versions including express versions.
  # however it doesn't exist in Visual Studio 2022, so try it but fall-back
  # to devenv in case of failure.
  my $help_output = "";
  unless($help_output = `"$VCUPGRADE" /? 2>NUL:`) {
    unless($help_output = `"$DEVENV" /? 2>NUL:`) {
      die("Neither $VCUPGRADE or $DEVENV was found in path. Unable to
detemine\n" .
          "Visual Studio version. \n");
    }
  }

- The dependencies are quite old. I'm planning to upgrade these whenever
possible, but I'll do that step by step when I get the build going.

Kind regards,
Daniel

Re: build-svn-deps-win.pl

Posted by Yasuhito FUTATSUKI <fu...@yf.bsdclub.org>.
Hello,

On 2022/07/08 8:26, Nathan Hartman wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 4:49 PM Daniel Sahlberg
> <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It is really strange that this e-mail is not part of the thread https://lists.apache.org/thread/qf1tfohrwjrjk4qm1j1l8z11hfthlcq3. This should probably be brought up with Infra. Unfortunately I don't have the original e-mail so I don't have the message-id, which is probably needed when discussing with them.
>
> You know what's really weird? I can't even find the original message
> in my inbox. I only have my reply, which includes the following
>
> So, I don't know. Maybe we'll be lucky and Yasuhito has the original
> email, and we'll talk to Infra about it. I hope we aren't missing
> other important stuff.

It's not in the thread https://lists.apache.org/thread/qf1tfohrwjrjk4qm1j1l8z11hfthlcq3 but a part of the thread https://lists.apache.org/thread/o59b91vmg9gcm3v1gmnzgw957kcbsp1p . However, for some reason, its whole message body is quoted.

Link for the raw message is:
https://lists.apache.org/api/source.lua?id=8sffbo95yxp0gdd2spwd1y74nxodblto

Cheers,
--
Yasuhito FUTATSUKI <fu...@yf.bsclub.org>

Re: build-svn-deps-win.pl

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
<da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It is really strange that this e-mail is not part of the thread https://lists.apache.org/thread/qf1tfohrwjrjk4qm1j1l8z11hfthlcq3. This should probably be brought up with Infra. Unfortunately I don't have the original e-mail so I don't have the message-id, which is probably needed when discussing with them.

You know what's really weird? I can't even find the original message
in my inbox. I only have my reply, which includes the following

So, I don't know. Maybe we'll be lucky and Yasuhito has the original
email, and we'll talk to Infra about it. I hope we aren't missing
other important stuff.

> I cannot find it in the core installation of Visual Studio 2022. (I have it installed in the directory Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TeamFoundation\Team Explorer\Git\usr\bin but I'm not sure if this is an addon or if we can rely on this being part of all installations).

Hmm... Well I suppose we shouldn't depend on people using MSVS anyway,
since there are other toolchains for Windows.

> The awk from ezwinports is a lot newer than the gnuwin32 version. The downside is that the version number is encoded in the filename and older files/versions seems to be removed, so we will have to update the version number whenever new versions are uploaded. This might be ok for trunk, but for release tarballs we will have a problem.
>
> For this reason, I believe the gnuwin32 version is better. At least if I can succeed with the build (I'm not there yet).

Yes, this would be quite irritating.

An alternative might be to figure out where we're actually using awk
and perhaps using something else that is more common? Python? A
minimal C program? Perl? (I don't speak Perl but it's already a
dependency for the Windows build.)

Nathan

Re: build-svn-deps-win.pl

Posted by Daniel Sahlberg <da...@gmail.com>.
Den tors 7 juli 2022 kl 17:00 skrev Nathan Hartman <hartman.nathan@gmail.com
>:

> On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 10:22 AM Daniel Sahlberg
> <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm looking at build-svn-deps-win.pl (in tools/dev) and I have a number
> of problems which I'm hoping to address in the near future:
> >
> > - The download URL for AWK now return 404. I'm suggesting to replace it
> with http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/downlinks/gawk-bin-zip.php (this
> will require a bit of adjustments in the script since the download is now a
> ZIP file, but I believe I have this running). Does anyone have a better
> idea where to get a compiled AWK for Windows?
>
> The code (but no pre-compiled binaries) is at
> https://github.com/onetrueawk/awk now. Yasuhito listed a few more
> options at some point... one moment...
>
> I don't know why, but I can't find the email in the archives where
> Yasuhito gave a few links. Here's the text:
>
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 9:36 AM Yasuhito FUTATSUKI <fu...@poem.co.jp>
> wrote:

It is really strange that this e-mail is not part of the thread
https://lists.apache.org/thread/qf1tfohrwjrjk4qm1j1l8z11hfthlcq3. This
should probably be brought up with Infra. Unfortunately I don't have the
original e-mail so I don't have the message-id, which is probably needed
when discussing with them.

> On 2020/04/20 0:47, Johan Corveleyn wrote:
> > > * awk (from https://www.cs.princeton.edu/~bwk/btl.mirror/awk95.exe)
> > This is dead link now. https://www.cs.princeton.edu/~bwk/btl.mirror/
> > saids "Awk is now hosted at Github" (https://github.com/onetrueawk/awk),
> > and there is no executable.
> >
> > However, I could find awk.exe (actually GNU Awk 4.1.4) under the
> > Visuall Studio 2017 install directory.

I cannot find it in the core installation of Visual Studio 2022. (I have it
installed in the directory
Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TeamFoundation\Team
Explorer\Git\usr\bin but I'm not sure if this is an addon or if we can rely
on this being part of all installations).

> > Also, newer version is found in
> >
> > https://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/
>
> Not sure which of these is "best"; if using Visual Studio, the awk
> bundled with it might be the most convenient (if still bundled in
> newer versions).

The awk from ezwinports is a lot newer than the gnuwin32 version. The
downside is that the version number is encoded in the filename and older
files/versions seems to be removed, so we will have to update the version
number whenever new versions are uploaded. This might be ok for trunk, but
for release tarballs we will have a problem.

For this reason, I believe the gnuwin32 version is better. At least if I
can succeed with the build (I'm not there yet).

Thank you for digging up the old thread!

Kind regards,
Daniel

Re: build-svn-deps-win.pl

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
<da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at build-svn-deps-win.pl (in tools/dev) and I have a number of problems which I'm hoping to address in the near future:
>
> - The download URL for AWK now return 404. I'm suggesting to replace it with http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/downlinks/gawk-bin-zip.php (this will require a bit of adjustments in the script since the download is now a ZIP file, but I believe I have this running). Does anyone have a better idea where to get a compiled AWK for Windows?

The code (but no pre-compiled binaries) is at
https://github.com/onetrueawk/awk now. Yasuhito listed a few more
options at some point... one moment...

I don't know why, but I can't find the email in the archives where
Yasuhito gave a few links. Here's the text:

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 9:36 AM Yasuhito FUTATSUKI <fu...@poem.co.jp> wrote:
> On 2020/04/20 0:47, Johan Corveleyn wrote:
> > * awk (from https://www.cs.princeton.edu/~bwk/btl.mirror/awk95.exe)
> This is dead link now. https://www.cs.princeton.edu/~bwk/btl.mirror/
> saids "Awk is now hosted at Github" (https://github.com/onetrueawk/awk),
> and there is no executable.
>
> However, I could find awk.exe (actually GNU Awk 4.1.4) under the
> Visuall Studio 2017 install directory.
>
> Also, newer version is found in
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/

Not sure which of these is "best"; if using Visual Studio, the awk
bundled with it might be the most convenient (if still bundled in
newer versions).

Regarding your other question, I hope someone around here speaks Perl. :-)

Cheers,
Nathan