Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Da...@Notes.YMP.GOV on 2007/04/12 01:23:00 UTC

[users@httpd] WebDAV

Is there anyone using WebDAV and Basic Authentication from a Windows
Explorer client??

Dan

Re: [users@httpd] WebDAV

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
John P. Dodge wrote:
>>     <Limit PUT>
>>         Order deny,allow
>>         Allow from all
>>         Require group WebDAV-Writers
>>     </Limit>
>>     <Limit GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
>>         Order deny,allow
>>         Allow from all
>>         Require group WebDAV-Readers WebDAV-Writers
>>     </Limit>
>>     <LimitExcept GET POST PUT OPTIONS PROPFIND>
>>         Order deny,allow
>>         Deny from all
>>     </LimitExcept>

Only ONE of the limit, or limitexcept blocks are valid per context.

You need two different locations, one for read-only, one for editable.

Re: [users@httpd] WebDAV

Posted by Da...@Notes.YMP.GOV.
I have no rewrite rules.  The WebDAV directory is:

root@nessie:/usr/local/apache2/conf>ls -la ../htdocs/WebDAV/
total 330
drwxrwxr-x   2 apache   apache       512 Apr 12 11:03 ./
drwxr-xr-x   3 apache   apache      1536 Apr  9 13:42 ../
-rw-r--r--   1 apache   apache    109425 Apr 12 11:03 Blackberry2.jpg
-rw-r--r--   1 apache   apache         0 Apr  9 13:13 desktop.ini
-rw-r--r--   1 apache   apache        12 Apr  6 11:41 foo
-rw-r--r--   1 apache   apache     36558 Apr  9 14:11 java.txt
-rw-r--r--   1 apache   apache      4818 Apr 12 08:16 ydln1.txt

Please respond to users@httpd.apache.org

To:     users@httpd.apache.org
cc:      (bcc: Dan Mitton/YD/RWDOE)
Subject:        Re: [users@httpd] WebDAV
LSN: Not Relevant
User Filed as: Not a Record

Dan_Mitton@Notes.YMP.GOV wrote:

> John,
>
> I added the DAVDepthInfinity On, right after my DAV On line, but it
> doesn't seem to do anything.

It prevents ONE request from slurping to infinity - but does not prevent
the user from recursively following your misconfiguration one request
at a time.

You have a symlink or rewrite rule that is causing this infinate
recursion.  Fix that.

Re: [users@httpd] WebDAV

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Dan_Mitton@Notes.YMP.GOV wrote:

> John,
>
> I added the DAVDepthInfinity On, right after my DAV On line, but it
> doesn't seem to do anything.

It prevents ONE request from slurping to infinity - but does not prevent
the user from recursively following your misconfiguration one request
at a time.

You have a symlink or rewrite rule that is causing this infinate
recursion.  Fix that.

Re: [users@httpd] WebDAV

Posted by Da...@Notes.YMP.GOV.
John,

I added the DAVDepthInfinity On, right after my DAV On line, but it
doesn't seem to do anything.

<Directory "/usr/local/apache2/htdocs/WebDAV">
    DAV On
    DAVDepthInfinity On
    AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit Indexes
        .
        .
        .

Dan

Please respond to users@httpd.apache.org

To:     users@httpd.apache.org
cc:      (bcc: Dan Mitton/YD/RWDOE)
LSN: Not Relevant
User Filed as: Not a Record

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 Dan_Mitton@Notes.YMP.GOV wrote:

> Joshua,
>
> Thanks, it looks like the http://server.name.dom:80/WebDAV did the trick
> with getting basic authentication to work, but now from XP sp2 Explorer,
> the directory of the WebDAV share, also contains an infinite recursion
of
> the WebDAV directory itself !!??!!  Here is my apache setup:
>
> <Directory "/usr/local/apache2/htdocs/WebDAV">
>     DAV On
>     AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit Indexes
>     Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
>     AuthType Basic
>     AuthName "WebDAV"
>     AuthUserFile  users/WebDAV.Users
>     AuthGroupFile users/WebDAV.Groups
>     <Limit PUT>
>         Order deny,allow
>         Allow from all
>         Require group WebDAV-Writers
>     </Limit>
>     <Limit GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
>         Order deny,allow
>         Allow from all
>         Require group WebDAV-Readers WebDAV-Writers
>     </Limit>
>     <LimitExcept GET POST PUT OPTIONS PROPFIND>
>         Order deny,allow
>         Deny from all
>     </LimitExcept>
> </Directory>
>
> And a directory from the server:
>
> On 4/11/07, Dan_Mitton@notes.ymp.gov <Da...@notes.ymp.gov> wrote:
> >
> > Is there anyone using WebDAV and Basic Authentication from a Windows
> > Explorer client??
>
> Yes. Did you have a specific question?
>
> Lots of people do this, although you need to contend with the various
> bugs in various windows versions and sub-versions. An example is here:

http://agiletesting.blogspot.com/2007/03/file-sharing-with-apache-and-webdav.html

You probably still need to use DavDepthInfinity for the recursion issue.

DAVDepthInfinity on

"Mon aƩroglisseur est plein d'anguilles"
John P. Dodge
Boeing Shared Services

Re: [users@httpd] WebDAV

Posted by "John P. Dodge" <do...@cruciate.ca.boeing.com>.
> [...]

the WebDAV directory itself !!??!!  Here is my apache setup:

<Directory "/usr/local/apache2/htdocs/WebDAV">
    DAV On
    AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit Indexes
    Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
    AuthType Basic
    AuthName "WebDAV"
    AuthUserFile  users/WebDAV.Users
    AuthGroupFile users/WebDAV.Groups
    <Limit PUT>
        Order deny,allow
        Allow from all
        Require group WebDAV-Writers
    </Limit>
    <Limit GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
        Order deny,allow
        Allow from all
        Require group WebDAV-Readers WebDAV-Writers
    </Limit>
    <LimitExcept GET POST PUT OPTIONS PROPFIND>

root@nessie:/usr/local/apache2/htdocs/WebDAV>ls -la
total 90
drwxrwxr-x   2 apache   apache       512 Apr 12 08:16 ./
drwxr-xr-x   3 apache   apache      1536 Apr  9 13:42 ../
-rw-r--r--   1 apache   apache         0 Apr  9 13:13 desktop.ini
-rw-r--r--   1 apache   apache        12 Apr  6 11:41 foo
-rw-r--r--   1 apache   apache     36558 Apr  9 14:11 java.txt
-rw-r--r--   1 apache   apache      4818 Apr 12 08:16 ydln1.txt

but other then seeing WebDAV inside of WebDAV, it seems to be working !!

Please respond to users@httpd.apache.org
Sent by:        jslive@gmail.com
To:     users@httpd.apache.org
cc:      (bcc: Dan Mitton/YD/RWDOE)
LSN: Not Relevant
User Filed as: Not a Record

On 4/11/07, Dan_Mitton@notes.ymp.gov <Da...@notes.ymp.gov> wrote:

> Is there anyone using WebDAV and Basic Authentication from a Windows
> Explorer client??

Yes. Did you have a specific question?

Lots of people do this, although you need to contend with the various
bugs in various windows versions and sub-versions. An example is here:
http://agiletesting.blogspot.com/2007/03/file-sharing-with-apache-and-webdav.html

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] WebDAV

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Re: [users@httpd] WebDAV

Posted by Paul Matthews <pa...@opensourcehowto.org>.
> Is there anyone using WebDAV and Basic Authentication from a Windows
> Explorer client??
>
> Dan

Was there something about it you wanted to know? check out the link below
for heaps of information on apache

http://www.opensourcehowto.org/how-to/apache/

or if you really want to know about webdav

[Apache2 with Webdav & htpasswd using openSSL certs]
http://www.opensourcehowto.org/how-to/apache/apache2-with-webdav--htpasswd-using-openssl-certs.html

[Apache with user access to their own home directories via webdav &
openldap authentication]
http://www.opensourcehowto.org/how-to/apache/apache-with-user-access-to-their-own-home-directories-via-webdav-and-openldap-authentication.html

Re: [users@httpd] WebDAV

Posted by fRANz <an...@gmail.com>.
On 4/12/07, Dan_Mitton@notes.ymp.gov <Da...@notes.ymp.gov> wrote:

> Is there anyone using WebDAV and Basic Authentication from a Windows
> Explorer client??

Apache 2.0.59, mod_ssl + WebDAV location with Basic Authentication in
Windows environment.
Windows Explorer doesn't works; cadaver (Linux client) works perfectly.

Regards,
-f