Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Claudio Filho <fi...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/28 21:04:57 UTC

Debian repository for AOO

Hi

As I said some time ago, we have focus in give support of AOO in
Debian, so a friend, Marcelo Santana, from Debian Brasil, is working
in a Debian repository, beyound the "debianization" of AOO, at
SourceForge[1]. Unhappyly, he was blocked because the excessive direct
access in project space, so we need a space to share this repository.
I think that can use my userspace @apache.org.
Is acceptable to do this? Can I share this repo in people.apache.org?
[1]http://apacheoo-deb.sourceforge.net/

Best,
Claudio

Re: Debian repository for AOO

Posted by Nelson Marques <nm...@gmail.com>.
I dont mind tagging along for Fedora/OpenSUSE builds using OBS, I
already have a few repos I manage which build cross-distribution. My
only big issue currently is dmake behavior. Having the sources to
build from autotools, cmake, scons or anything more popular would most
likely provide better grounds for massification.

NM

--
Nelson Marques
// I've stopped trying to understand sandwiches with a third piece of

Re: Debian repository for AOO

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nelson Marques <nm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nelson Marques <nm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.
On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 9:04 PM, Claudio Filho <fi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> As I said some time ago, we have focus in give support of AOO in
> Debian, so a friend, Marcelo Santana, from Debian Brasil, is working
> in a Debian repository, beyound the "debianization" of AOO, at
> SourceForge[1]. Unhappyly, he was blocked because the excessive direct
> access in project space, so we need a space to share this repository.

May I know more about what the problem is? Maybe I can help with that.

Roberto

--
====

Re: Debian repository for AOO

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Claudio Filho <fi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Unhappyly, he was blocked because the excessive direct
> access in project space, so we need a space to share this repository.

Isn't there a way to upload files to code.google.com? (I don't know, just
thinking aloud, perhaps it's worth exploring).

I guess that, not matter how big the bandwidth used by Debian users, it
would be a minor percentage of the total google code bandwidth...

FC

Re: Debian repository for AOO

Posted by Claudio Filho <fi...@gmail.com>.
Hi

2012/5/28 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>:
> I think Infra@ would have concerns about putting anything "excessive"
> on people.apache.org.   I would guess that bandwidth more an issue
> than storage here.

Exact, Rob. My doubt is "to eat" bandwidth and, as a good practice, i
asked before to preserve our infra after.

But maybe the request for bandwidth to provide debian packages is
minor that we think.

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 4:00 AM, Damjan Jovanovic <da...@gmail.com>wrote:

> If people.apache.org isn't an option, what about using Apache Labs?
> http://labs.apache.org/

Is Google Code no good?.

If it's free, and AOO doesn't violate the TOS, why not use it?. That is,
assuming large binaries can be uploaded. I don't know.

I suspect it does, after reading this:
http://code.google.com/p/ant-googlecode/

Althought I'm not 100% sure if there is a size limit or not.

FC

Re: Debian repository for AOO

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 10:30 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Claudio Filho <fi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > As I said some time ago, we have focus in give support of AOO in
> > Debian, so a friend, Marcelo Santana, from Debian Brasil, is working
> > in a Debian repository, beyound the "debianization" of AOO, at
> > SourceForge[1]. Unhappyly, he was blocked because the excessive direct
> > access in project space, so we need a space to share this repository.
> > I think that can use my userspace @apache.org.
> > Is acceptable to do this? Can I share this repo in people.apache.org?
> > [1]http://apacheoo-deb.sourceforge.net/
> >

> I think Infra@ would have concerns about putting anything "excessive"
> on people.apache.org.   I would guess that bandwidth more an issue
> than storage here.
>
> -Rob
>
> > Best,
> > Claudio

If people.apache.org isn't an option, what about using Apache Labs?
http://labs.apache.org/

Damjan

Re: Debian repository for AOO

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Albino B Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marcelo. :)

2012/5/29 Marcelo Santana <ma...@yahoo.com.br>:
> Now I understand how it works! \o/
>
> Thank you so much for your help on #sourceforge IRC channel.
>
> I'm configuring the repository, soon I'll publish how to use it. ;-)

Congratulation for the work, you and Claudio.

Albino

Re: Debian repository for AOO

Posted by Albino B Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

2012/5/30 RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>:
> 2012/5/30 Marcelo Santana <ma...@yahoo.com.br>:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Now the repository is running[1], ready to provide a easier way to
>> install Apache OpenOffice 3.4 on a Debian desktop with all available
>> languages.
>>
>> [1]http://sourceforge.net/projects/apacheoo-deb/files/debian/
>>
>> For while we are providing only i386 and amd64 binaries but soon it
>> will be available also the source code (with deb-src entry for
>> sources.list file), according to the Debian policy and DFSG.
>>
>> Thank you Chris and Roberto for the Sourceforge support.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

> Good! Repo promoted on EN, ES and IT forums ;)

+1

Social networking #AOOBr :)

Albino

Re: Debian repository for AOO

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
2012/5/30 Marcelo Santana <ma...@yahoo.com.br>:
> Hi folks,
>
> Now the repository is running[1], ready to provide a easier way to
> install Apache OpenOffice 3.4 on a Debian desktop with all available
> languages.
>
> [1]http://sourceforge.net/projects/apacheoo-deb/files/debian/
>
> For while we are providing only i386 and amd64 binaries but soon it
> will be available also the source code (with deb-src entry for
> sources.list file), according to the Debian policy and DFSG.
>
> Thank you Chris and Roberto for the Sourceforge support.
>
> Regards,

Good! Repo promoted on EN, ES and IT forums ;)

Regards
Ricardo

Re: Debian repository for AOO

Posted by Wolf Halton <wo...@gmail.com>.
Paolo,

Yes please. An english translation published on the en support forum would
ne great.

Wolf

http://evergreen-community-01.lyrasistechnology.org
http://sourcefreedom.com
Apache developer:
wolfhalton@apache.org

https://almalivre.wordpress.com/2012/05/30/apache-openoffice-instalacao-via-repositorio-nao-oficial-para-debianubuntumint/(in

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Marcelo Santana <ma...@yahoo.com.br>.
Hi folks,

Now the repository is running[1], ready to provide a easier way to
install Apache OpenOffice 3.4 on a Debian desktop with all available
languages.

[1]http://sourceforge.net/projects/apacheoo-deb/files/debian/

For while we are providing only i386 and amd64 binaries but soon it
will be available also the source code (with deb-src entry for
sources.list file), according to the Debian policy and DFSG.

Thank you Chris and Roberto for the Sourceforge support.

Marcelo G. Santana(aka msantana)  | GNU/Linux User number: #208778
JID:marcelo.santana@jabber-br.org | GNU Privacy Guard ID: 89C55467
      http://blog.msantana.eng.br | http://identi.ca/mgsantana
      http://www.debianbrasil.org | http://br.gnome.org

Re: Debian repository for AOO

Posted by Marcelo Santana <ma...@yahoo.com.br>.
On Tue, 29 May 2012 12:25:43 -0400, Christopher Tsai <ct...@geek.net>
wrote:

Hello Chris!

> Could you clarify why using the mirror system isn't appropriate?
> Several users have told me that the mirror system works fine with the
> apt repositories they set up, and it seems to me that using the
> mirror system would provide better download availability and
> performance.
>
> That is, if you hard code to files directly, you'd need to designate a
> specific mirror (which we don't recommend), which would mean 1) some
> users may be forced to a mirror halfway across the globe, 2) you'll
> run into availability issues if the mirror goes down or needs to be
> taken offline for some reason, and 3) you miss out on download
> statistics (which only get logged if the downloads go through our
> mirror redirector).

No doubt.

Posted by Christopher Tsai <ct...@geek.net>.
Could you clarify why using the mirror system isn't appropriate? Several
users have told me that the mirror system works fine with the apt
repositories they set up, and it seems to me that using the mirror system
would provide better download availability and performance.

That is, if you hard code to files directly, you'd need to designate a
specific mirror (which we don't recommend), which would mean 1) some users
may be forced to a mirror halfway across the globe, 2) you'll run into
availability issues if the mirror goes down or needs to be taken offline
for some reason, and 3) you miss out on download statistics (which only get
logged if the downloads go through our mirror redirector).

Best Regards,
Chris Tsai
SourceForge Support
sfnet_ops@geek.net