Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tim Roberts <im...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/04 03:16:05 UTC

[users@httpd] Double Slashes in URL Path

I need some help understanding URLs returned from our WebDAV server.

I have several sites set up using Name Based virtual hosts.

i.e. http://hostname.mydomain.com

I need to be able to send direct links to files. When I use Copy URL from my client application I get a URL that looks like:

http://hostname.mydomain.com//filename

Note double slashes.

I do not have trailing slashes in DocumentRoot or Directory statements.

I need for URLs to be:

http://hostname.mydomain.com/filename

I've searched high and low for an answer and can't find any references to such a problem.
I just replaced the stock Apache with the current release and still have the same results.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mac OS X Server 10.6.8
Server version: Apache/2.2.21 (Unix)

Thanks,

Tim Roberts
Vibe Room Music
Nashville, TN

Re: [users@httpd] Double Slashes in URL Path

Posted by Tim Roberts <im...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the reply.

I guess my issue is that I don't understand how these urls are being formed. The client application in this case is Transmit which is an FTP app that supports webdav. My assumption has been that the url is formed on the server end via Apache. Also, the Finder (file browser) in OS X supports webdav and reports the same url with double slashes. So it appears that it doesn't matter what is the client. I suppose it could be an OS issue.

This is a very simple webdav share. No scripts or anything fancy.
It is basically just a file repository. There is no access via Web Browser. (Options -Index).

We are a music publishing company and have about 25 users who use the server for collaboration purposes. For the most part everything works fine. But a few of the users cannot download the target file unless a slash is removed. Of course, they don't want to have to remember to do that, they just want it to work.

I realize now that when I posted I used "hostname" in the url description, but really should substitute "sharepoint" for "hostname".

ie. http://sharepoint.mydomain.com shows up as http://sharepoint.mydomain.com.

Not sure that really makes any difference, but might help in understanding the setup.

Best,

Tim Roberts,
Vibe Room Music
Nashville, TN

Posted by Steve Swift <Sw...@swiftys.org.uk>.
I'm no expert in this area, which is perhaps why I've also seen the
problem. The upside is that apache seems to ignore the double slashes, but
this is probably because the underlying systems do the same. Try typing a
file, then change one of the slashes to a double slash; it still types out
(both Windows and Linux).

Your first step is to be very clear what is creating the url's. You say
they are coming from the client application, but what, exactly, is this?
Are the URL's generated by code of some sort (JavaScript/CGI scripts/etc),
or simply HTML?

On 4 December 2011 02:16, Tim Roberts <im...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I need some help understanding URLs returned from our WebDAV server.
>
> I have several sites set up using Name Based virtual hosts.
>
> i.e. http://hostname.mydomain.com
>
> I need to be able to send direct links to files. When I use Copy URL from
> my client application I get a URL that looks like:
>
> http://hostname.mydomain.com//filename
>
> Note double slashes.
>
> I do not have trailing slashes in DocumentRoot or Directory statements.
>
> I need for URLs to be:
>
> http://hostname.mydomain.com/filename
>

> I've searched high and low for an answer and can't find any references to
> such a problem.
> I just replaced the stock Apache with the current release and still have
> the same results.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Mac OS X Server 10.6.8
> Server version: Apache/2.2.21 (Unix)