Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Donald Woods <dr...@yahoo.com> on 2007/01/02 04:13:36 UTC

Re: Trunk build failure: NoClassDefFoundError: javax/xml/stream/XMLStreamException

Can we host a repo per release (1.2, 2.0, ...) on guild.org and only
check-in the repo contents in svn when a branch is created, so it gets
tagged with a release (milestone, beta, final, ...)?  That would keep us
from bloating the storage space required in the repo due to binary diffs
of frequently changing artifacts.

Then, we could define m2 profiles to pull the artifacts from the gbuild
hosted repo or svn for released builds or from the public repos for
people working on new code before it is committed and the gbuild repo
updated.

-Donald

Jason Dillon wrote:
> Thanks Kevan for looking into this.
>
> This is one of the big issues I have with mvn and SNAPSHOT artifacts...
> other peoples projects can break your projects build with out any
> notice, no change log, and in many cases hours of someone debugging a
> build to figure it out.
>
> Perhaps we should simply not use *any* SNAPSHOT artifacts anymore?  And
> only use timestamp-build artifacts when non-released (snapshot deployed)
> artifacts need to be consumed.  The chances of those *just changing* and
> breaking things are slimmer... though the chance of them disappearing
> from a repo are much higher.
>
> We could always fix that by finally setting up our own repo in svn,
> maybe here for now:
>
>     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/repository
>
> Might hold anywhere from 50-100 megs of artifacts to support a Geronimo
> Server build.  And we could probably just start out with some of the
> more risky artifacts, like this timestamp-build artifact (and move over
> the local repos that are in the server/trunk build).
>
> Though eventually it would be nice to simply be able to prime the local
> repo and build offline:
>
>     svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/repository
>     cp -r repository/* ~/.m2/repository
>     svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/trunk server
>     cd server
>     mvn -o
>
> Though I'm not sure if the current ASF httpd config for svn.apache.org
> will handle this well.   I know that its possible to setup httpd+svn to
> behave optimally for this, just not sure that the ASF config asis will
> or not.
>
> --jason
>

> On Dec 27, 2006, at 9:33 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:
>

>> On Dec 26, 2006, at 6:55 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:
>>
>>> I've run the server/trunk build twice on JDK 1.5 twice from a clean
>>> repo, both times it fails here:
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>> [INFO]
>>>
>>> [INFO] Building Geronimo :: Service :: Builder
>>> [INFO]    task-segment: [install]
>>> [INFO]
>>>
>>> [INFO] snapshot
>>> org.codehaus.mojo:xmlbeans-maven-plugin:2.0.1-SNAPSHOT: checking for
>>> updates from apache-snapshots
>>> [INFO] snapshot
>>> org.codehaus.mojo:xmlbeans-maven-plugin:2.0.1-SNAPSHOT: checking for
>>> updates from codehaus-snapshots
>>> [INFO] snapshot
>>> org.codehaus.mojo:xmlbeans-maven-plugin:2.0.1-SNAPSHOT: checking for
> [...]
>>> [INFO] [tools:require-java-version {execution: validate-java-version}]