Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Simon Sadedin <ss...@badboy.com.au> on 2008/03/21 23:18:13 UTC

Problems with binary characters in parameters

Hi,

This might be a question for the developers more than anyone else.

I've been supporting the "Export to JMeter" feature in Badboy for some
time now.  One problem that occasionally comes up is that people record
parameters that contain characters that are illegal in XML (eg. binary
chars 0-8, 0x0e - 0x19 are all illegal in XML documents).   When Badboy
saves these files they end up unparseable because the file format (as I
understand it) contains the "raw" parameter values (unencoded) - and in
this case that means they contain illegal XML characters.

I'm curious if anyone has run into this before, and if there's any way
to encode these kind of binary parameters that will work with the JMeter
file format?

Many thanks for any help!

Simon.

Re: Problems with binary characters in parameters

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 21/03/2008, Simon Sadedin <ss...@badboy.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  This might be a question for the developers more than anyone else.
>
>  I've been supporting the "Export to JMeter" feature in Badboy for some
>  time now.  One problem that occasionally comes up is that people record
>  parameters that contain characters that are illegal in XML (eg. binary
>  chars 0-8, 0x0e - 0x19 are all illegal in XML documents).   When Badboy
>  saves these files they end up unparseable because the file format (as I
>  understand it) contains the "raw" parameter values (unencoded) - and in
>  this case that means they contain illegal XML characters.
>
>  I'm curious if anyone has run into this before, and if there's any way
>  to encode these kind of binary parameters that will work with the JMeter
>  file format?

Sorry for the delay in responding.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by parameters with illegal XML characters.

If you have an example, why not try and see how the JMeter Proxy deals with it?