Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/17 22:23:23 UTC

License headers and jars in svn

I did not want to hijack the [VOTE] thread in progress on the QA tests
contribution and my +1 on that thread means I support the
contribution.  There are some things we should clean up / decide on;
however, indicated on the RAT report that I added to RIVER-28.

1) It looks to me like the .config, .policy and .login files in the
current code as well as QA submission can all tolerate java header
comments.  I don't know exactly how these files are used, so I don't
want to make any changes; but if this is OK to do we should add them.
Similarly for .properties files.  I can do this once I get the build
working so I can test locally assuming I am right and adding them will
cause no problems.  Pointers on how to get the build to work would be
appreciated.  I am OK with initial commit without them (the initial
submission already includes some files like this).

2) Do we need all of the binary files in svn?  (.keystore, etc?)  I am
not opposed to binary files in svn - some are absolutely necessary -
just want to make sure we need all that are committed and they do not
bring encumberances or security issues with them.

3) Do we need the jar files in the QA test submission?  If so, where
are the sources for these jars and how do we know we can distribute
them?  I am not OK committing these unless we can identify sources or
licenses.  While there is no policy against jars in svn and in some
cases it is impractical not to include them, I personally like to
avoid it wherever possible.

Phil

Re: License headers and jars in svn

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
On Jun 18, 2007, at 11:03 AM, Phil Steitz wrote:

> On 6/18/07, Bob Scheifler <Bo...@sun.com> wrote:
>> Frank Barnaby wrote:
>> > At first glance, I didn't see any build scripts for these jar
>> files,
>> > but I'll investigate further.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure they were all constructed by hand.
>>

> As long as their contents are appropriately licensed (which is true if
> they come from sources in the contribution), there is no legal reason
> we can't commit these jars to svn; but if they can be generated by
> build scripts without terrible build performance pain, it would be
> better, IMHO, to remove them from svn once that is set up.
>
> Similar to the package naming issue though, I think preserving a build
> that works is more important in the near term than tidiness, so I have
> no problem committing the jars for now.

+1

An objective should be to build what you can from your own project
sources; include dependencies as binaries from well-known
appropriately licensed external projects; and document the ownership
and licenses via suitable NOTICE files for redistribution.

Craig

> Phil

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: License headers and jars in svn

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bob Scheifler <Bo...@Sun.COM>.
Frank Barnaby wrote:
> At first glance, I didn't see any build scripts for these jar files,
> but I'll investigate further.

I'm pretty sure they were all constructed by hand.

- Bob

Re: License headers and jars in svn

Posted by Frank Barnaby <Fr...@Sun.COM>.
At first glance, I didn't see any build scripts for these jar files,
but I'll investigate further.  If necessary, I'll create the requisite
Ant script(s) and upload them to the project.

Frank

Posted by Bob Scheifler <Bo...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Bob Scheifler <Bo...@Sun.COM>.
Phil Steitz wrote:
> 1) It looks to me like the .config, .policy and .login files in the
> current code as well as QA submission can all tolerate java header
> comments.

Yep, I believe that's the case.

> Similarly for .properties files.

I believe those are all #-style comments.

> 2) Do we need all of the binary files in svn?

Many could be generated (there is a Makefile already for some of them).
For Kerberos keytabs, well, dunno if we'll even have a KDC to test with,
and they are KDC specific.
Some of the binary files are documents & images.

- Bob