Posted to xml-commons-dev@xerces.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au> on 2002/11/14 08:58:19 UTC

draft website for xml-commons using Forrest

Apache Forrest is almost due to make its first release.
So i thought it was about time to start generating the
xml-commons website using Forrest.

See the draft at:
http://cvs.apache.org/~crossley/commons/

Do not worry about the trail at the top. It looks
strange because it is at a temporary location.

I gleaned the content from Shane's current homepage
at /home/cvs/xml-commons/README.html and did not change
any content other that a few speling and layout tweaks.

I moved the stuff about the old proposal and the vote
for establishing the xml-commons project. This is now
in a separate document. However, some of it may need
to be copied back, because there is useful stuff about
the scope of xml-commons.

Sorry about the "xml-commons" logo. I snitched a colour
from the edge of the Apache feather and knocked up a
quick-and-dirty PNG.

Anyway, if people are happy with this much, then i will
commit the source to xml-commons CVS and the result
to xml-site CVS. When we are satisfied, then we can
go live.

--David

Re: draft website for xml-commons using Forrest

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Following Shane's documentation commits today,
i updated the draft website.
http://cvs.apache.org/~crossley/commons/

We know that there are a few issues. I will try
to gather them up and see what the Forrest list
thinks about how those can be addressed.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:

>>><snip/>

>>>Great.
>>
>>Have a look here about current draft tests:
>>http://cvs.apache.org/~nicolaken/testlogos.html
>>
>>Apache Commons too is in the quest for a logo.
>>
>>Comments and alternative proposals very welcome.
>

> Excellent work Ken. I like the first one. Open Commons
> containing and providing Peace. (The other ones with the
> empty element <commons/> do not convey the same meaning.)

Good, I'm happy the graphical message went through so easily :-)

> Is there room to squeeze in an outer <apache> element?

Cool, nice idea I'll work on it :-)

BTW, I thought that the pipe would be a nice logo for all the "commons"
projects at Apache.

How do you think we can use the same pipe for all of them without
creating confusion? Color schemes? Hmmm...

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: draft website for xml-commons using Forrest

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>
>>>Sorry about the "xml-commons" logo. I snitched a colour
>>>from the edge of the Apache feather and knocked up a
>>>quick-and-dirty PNG.
>>
>>I'll make something out of SVG and post it somewhere, then
>>we'll see what other guys think.
>
> Great.

Have a look here about current draft tests:
http://cvs.apache.org/~nicolaken/testlogos.html

Apache Commons too is in the quest for a logo.

Comments and alternative proposals very welcome.

>>>Anyway, if people are happy with this much, then i will
>>>commit the source to xml-commons CVS and the result
>>>to xml-site CVS. When we are satisfied, then we can
>>>go live.
>>
>>:-)
>

> Er. Why the smiley Ken?

Another site using Forrest! :-)

> Are you referring to the cumbersome mess
> that is the xml-site CVS module?

Errr, nope.
Till we have mixed formats I honestly don't see how we can make it
better, but that's just MHO, what would you propose?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
<snip/>
> > Sorry about the "xml-commons" logo. I snitched a colour
> > from the edge of the Apache feather and knocked up a
> > quick-and-dirty PNG.
>
> I'll make something out of SVG and post it somewhere, then
> we'll see what other guys think.

Great.

> > Anyway, if people are happy with this much, then i will
> > commit the source to xml-commons CVS and the result
> > to xml-site CVS. When we are satisfied, then we can
> > go live.
>
> :-)

Er. Why the smiley Ken? Are you referring to the cumbersome mess

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

David Crossley wrote:
> Apache Forrest is almost due to make its first release.
> So i thought it was about time to start generating the
> xml-commons website using Forrest.
>
> See the draft at:
> http://cvs.apache.org/~crossley/commons/

Cool, man! :-)

> Do not worry about the trail at the top. It looks
> strange because it is at a temporary location.
>
> I gleaned the content from Shane's current homepage
> at /home/cvs/xml-commons/README.html and did not change
> any content other that a few speling and layout tweaks.
>
> I moved the stuff about the old proposal and the vote
> for establishing the xml-commons project. This is now
> in a separate document. However, some of it may need
> to be copied back, because there is useful stuff about
> the scope of xml-commons.
>
> Sorry about the "xml-commons" logo. I snitched a colour
> from the edge of the Apache feather and knocked up a
> quick-and-dirty PNG.

I'll make something out of SVG and post it somewhere, then we'll see
what other guys think.

> Anyway, if people are happy with this much, then i will
> commit the source to xml-commons CVS and the result
> to xml-site CVS. When we are satisfied, then we can
> go live.

:-)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Today i updated the xml-commons documentation to
be able to utilise Forrest's new "site structure"
facility which better enables "Menus and Linking"
http://xml.apache.org/forrest/linking.html

This might help the diverse needs of the xml-commons
website.

I am really keen to get the xml-commons project
more widely known. It is a shame that these excellent
components are not being properly promoted.

--David

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Shane Curcuru/CAM/Lotus wrote:
> ---- David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au> ----
> > I envisaged a "common" home page and some top-level docs,
> > then separate sections for each thing that is distributed.
>
> Yup, we'll definitely need some overviews about the project as a whole,
> and then separate sections for each distributable component.  Note you get
> bonus points if each component (i.e. java/resolver.xml) can have it's own
> set of subdocs that can get included in it's distribution.  (i.e. when
> Resolver ships, it should have all the resolver docs, plus perhaps a bonus
> page that describes the project it came from).   As some point we'll have
> to update some of the existing 'what is resolver' docs into the new
> structure too.

It seems that each component may need its own "forrest"
build, separate to the top-level "forrest".

I see another requirement. Some documents will be as
"docbook" DTD while others will be as "document-v11" DTD.
Forrest should be able to handle this mixture.

> > So will i go ahead and check-in to xml-commons CVS just the
> > xdocs part of things that i have now? Then Shane can modify
> > it directly.
>
> Sure, we can argue about whether to put it in xml-commons/. or in
> xml-commons/java/. later.

Okay, i have done an initial commit of the top-level
xdocs and the Forrest config files.

The demo website is also updated at

Posted by Shane Curcuru/CAM/Lotus <sh...@us.ibm.com>.
---- David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au> ----
> I envisaged a "common" home page and some top-level docs,
> then separate sections for each thing that is distributed.

Yup, we'll definitely need some overviews about the project as a whole,
and then separate sections for each distributable component.  Note you get
bonus points if each component (i.e. java/resolver.xml) can have it's own
set of subdocs that can get included in it's distribution.  (i.e. when
Resolver ships, it should have all the resolver docs, plus perhaps a bonus
page that describes the project it came from).   As some point we'll have
to update some of the existing 'what is resolver' docs into the new
structure too.

> So will i go ahead and check-in to xml-commons CVS just the
> xdocs part of things that i have now? Then Shane can modify
> it directly.

Sure, we can argue about whether to put it in xml-commons/. or in
xml-commons/java/. later.

- Shane

Re: draft website for xml-commons using Forrest

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Shane Curcuru/CAM/Lotus wrote:
> Wow, I was just about to redo xml-commons to be forrestized
> - although I had planned to completely restructure it, since
> the README.html that I created long ago kinds of sucks
> (I don't feel bad about writing that since I wrote it in the
> first place...).

Well, that is one of the things that i said needed to be
addressed later. For the start we need to get the basic
infrastructure for xdocs in place. Then we can edit and
re-arrange to our heart's content.