Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Lian, Xiaobu (Alice) (Xiaobu (Alice))" <li...@agere.com> on 2001/04/20 20:27:17 UTC

Configure Apache to work with Tomcat - mod_jk.conf-auto?

Hi,

My problem with building mod_jk.so on hp-ux has been solved with
the big help from Mike Braden.  Many thanks to Mike again!

Now I have a general question:
How do I configure apache to work with tomcat?

I have this question because after I included mod_jk.conf-auto in
httpd.conf,
and I started tomcat and apache without problem.  However, when I try to
access one servlet class, I saw the differences:

When access from tomcat directly, http://myserver:8090/servlets/my_test, the
servlet class works.
But if I use apache url:  http://myserver/servlets/mytest, a "save as"
window was started.

I guess that probably I did not configure correctly for apache to
communicate with tomcat.

I have read the mod_jk howto and tomcat-apache howto.  I use tomcat 2.3.1
with apache 1.3.19.

I was confused by whether I should include mod_jk.conf-auto
(if yes, how can I make any changes?) in the httpd.conf,
or I should use LoadModule and AddModule in httpd.conf.

I assume I cannot do both at the same time, can I?  But I do not know
what are the advantages one over the other?

Can anybody help me with a basic guide to configure apache to talk
to tomcat in httpd.conf and any other files?  Thanks for any information!

Alice

Xiaobu Alice Lian
Database Engineer
Agere Systems