Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com> on 2008/09/10 10:24:23 UTC

Re: apr-util removal of md4/md5 algorithms (legal issue)

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 01:24:58PM -0400, Tom O'Brien wrote:
> Hi all:
> I'm using the Log4Cxx logging library in a project, and it uses apr and
> apr-util as part of the implementation. In reviewing the license to
> apr-util, I noticed it contained a reference to the RSA reference
> implementation to md4 and md5. The lawyers here got a look at the
> license, and were not amused (no specific right to redistribute). I saw
> that the Debian team had raised a similar issue in the mailing list archive.

I just noticed that this issue is covered in the Fedora licensing FAQ:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing/FAQ

which references this statement from RSA:

http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/RSA-MD-all [plain text sent as text/html, oops]

the Fedora FAQ says that based on this, we can simply strip the
restrictive licensing statements from the MD4/MD5 implementation,
retaining the RSA copyright notice alone.

Can legal-discuss@ confirm whether this is an acceptable course of
action?

Regards, Joe

Re: apr-util removal of md4/md5 algorithms (legal issue)

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Joe Orton wrote:

>>> First, the above seems to present a conflicting state of affairs.
>>> I've only followed the links provided, so I may not understand the
>>> true story.  But if the original code was made available under the
>>> original BSD with advertising clause, then there is a specific right
>>> to redistribute provided, right?
>>
>> Sorry folks, I should have included more context in this.
>>
>> The code in question carries the license text referenced here:
>>
>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200610.mbox/<20...@redhat.com>
>>

> So isn't the appropriate action at this point to simply amend the license
> embedded in both httpd and apr to state RSA's revised license statement
> offered to the IETF?

Well, this suggestion still stands.  Modify the embedded code to reflect
the license statement of RSA?

Re: apr-util removal of md4/md5 algorithms (legal issue)

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.
On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 11:13:28AM -0400, Sam Ruby wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 4:24 AM, Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com> wrote:
> > I just noticed that this issue is covered in the Fedora licensing FAQ:
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing/FAQ
> >
> > which references this statement from RSA:
> >
> > http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/RSA-MD-all [plain text sent as text/html, oops]
> >
> > the Fedora FAQ says that based on this, we can simply strip the
> > restrictive licensing statements from the MD4/MD5 implementation,
> > retaining the RSA copyright notice alone.
> >
> > Can legal-discuss@ confirm whether this is an acceptable course of
> > action?
>
> First, the above seems to present a conflicting state of affairs.
> I've only followed the links provided, so I may not understand the
> true story.  But if the original code was made available under the
> original BSD with advertising clause, then there is a specific right
> to redistribute provided, right?

Sorry folks, I should have included more context in this.

The code in question carries the license text referenced here:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200610.mbox/<20...@redhat.com>

this code is currently in APR but has been around since Apache 1.3.

> Since we have actual lawyers engaged (ones who are reportedly not
> amused), how about inquiring as to whether such a course of action
> would, in fact, tickle their fancy?

Tom, can you do that?

Regards, Joe

Re: apr-util removal of md4/md5 algorithms (legal issue)

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.
The IETF IPR statement from RSA [http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/RSA-MD-all ]
says this: "Implementations of these message-digest algorithms, including
implementations derived from the reference C code in RFC-1319, RFC-1320, and
RFC-1321, may be made, used, and sold without license from RSA for any
purpose."

The only restriction is as to implementations "created, implemented, or
distributed by RSA."

Please help me understand why the lawyers who looked at this IETF statement
"were not amused." I'm personally delighted by these terms.

/Larry

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.